MB5 Exhaust Pipe Options?

Jeremy Templeman /

Sorry if this has been discussed before. But I couldn't find it. Looking to compare the pros and cons of the MB5 exhaust options out there?

I've got a 70cc kit, clamp on air filter, carbon reeds, stock carb rejetted, stock head (I think). I'm looking for a good all around pipe. Don't want to gain the most up top if I lose all power down low, etc.

Homoet: Seems highly praised except for noise and high rpm power band. Most

expensive.

Proma: Recommended by Perk LLC. Haven't heard much about it. Mid price point.

Tecno: Recommended by Treats. Not seen a lot of feedback on this pipe. Has a funny bend in the expansion chamber. Does that hurt performance? Lowest price.

Stock: Did Honda do a decent job? Should I stick with the stock pipe? Do the aftermarket pipes create a lot of noise giving the illusion of performance?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: MB5 Exhaust Pipe Options?

Stock is best all around power for 50cc.

Since you are 70cc, you have the torque to get you up onto a high rpm pipe.

Looking at the geometry from a pipe builders standpoint:

The 70cc homoet should have a lower RPM power peak with a broader power curve than the 50cc homoet pipe.

Proma is out of stock, but looks like it has a wider power band than the 50cc homoet, but peaks around the same rpm.

The tecno also looks like a high rpm pipe, and the bend shouldn't hurt performance too much.

If it were me, I would opt for the 70cc homoet or the proma with a 70cc mb5.

we did the 70cc homoet on a 50cc and it ripps even on the 50 so it will supper rip on the 70

Jeremy Templeman /

Great information. Hopefully some one can also chime in on personal experience with the Proma and Tecno pipes to confirm Jake's theories.

John Joedicke /

Honda did a great job with their OEM pipe but it is a heavy turd compared to any of the other performance pipes out there. There are 36 holes in the baffle that could be opened up to provide a better flow. I have done 12 of the 36 and will run the stock pipe with a 70 kit. I have a 50cc Homeot that I will also use and repack it with fibreglas . the baffle in the OEM can be gently removed from the end of the pipe, if stuck with carbon build up and use some PB Blaster and let it soak.

HPIM0871.jpg
honda-MB5-homoet-pipe-50cc-2.jpg

Jeremy Templeman /

I currently have my baffle out for cleaning. I haven't run without the baffle but I assume it would hurt performance? Is there an order to which holes you open up first? Nearer the header first, or furthest away? What diameter hole to start with?

I saw a different post you had about opening the holes on the baffle. I was wondering if that might help on my 50cc MB5 too? What exactly is that doing?

John Joedicke /

Just scavenging the gas faster after the internals of the pipe. Similar drilling is common on Puch OEM pipes. More air in the motor, more gases out the exhaust theory. Just a restriction removed and costs nothing. Random drilling no pattern.

FYI, https://www.treatland.tv/honda-MB5-proma-performance-exhaust-pipe-p/honda-mb5-proma-pipe.htm is back in stock. Cheapest performance option, and definitely a mid hitter. 45 in 3rd gear, tho my gearing is janked at 12x35.

Jeremy Templeman /

How was the fitment in your opinion? The one useful review says it wouldn't bolt up.

I honestly can't attest to that aspect as my pipe and kit were installed before I owned the bike. I would say it is probably pretty accurate, as the right side peg is touching the chamber, I.E. super tight fit, and it looks like the header was modified to bolt on. I'm asking my friend, and will get back to you.

Maybe just maybe someone with some start-up cash (not me) will persuade MLM Devin to make a pipe for us MB5'ers. Stateside pipe makers are pretty great.

Tecno goes way low and interfers with the center stand. Homoet 70 hits the foot peg.

My friend said the previous owner put the pipe and kit on, so no luck there. I will say that as far as the mounting bracket is concerned, the guy just drilled a hole down and to the left on the pipe's existing mounting bracket.

The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to fab a long foot peg for dubs riding and put a heat sink on the baffle so dubs riders wont get burned.

anyone ever try weldin some other pipe to the header?

i think a low end pipe would be the greatest thing ever for this bike

Here's a scooter pipe. I think it may be a modified Leo ZX?

tumblr_loeln7ObKc1qamx6ao1_1280.jpg

Josh Besecker /

Here's my Homoet... JUST barely touches the footpeg. can definitely just slide it in.... ;-)

Yep, my homoet 50cc pipe just barely slides in. had to file the mounting hole just a bit.

John Joedicke /

Good Idea on the vented fuel cap. Where did you get the cafe seat cap?

that's not my bike. it was bobby costello's from fast50.tumblr.com. he's a wizard.

I threw a techno on mine. Good pipe, hits hard when it hits the powerband. But I had to throw out the center stand and get a side stand. and build a custom brake peg since it would hit the pipe.

Jeremy Templeman /

Sounds more and more like a Homoet pipe is the best performing AND best fitting. Too bad it is almost the most expensive.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account