Sprocket Gearing Questions? Need a Guru

.♠.MSG .♠. /

So Im custom building a bike from frame up with an a35 motor. It going on a Eagle3 frame which I know is a larger and heavier frame than the standard a35 Tomos Sprint/Bullet/Targa frames.

I know the a35 Tomos bikes come stock with a 26T Front and 24T Rear.

I know you can mod the rear wheels to fit smaller sprockets and mod the case to fit larger front sprockets.

What I want to know is that if I reverse the gearing ratio with the same(24T Front/ 24T Rear) so I dont need to mod anything, what results should I expect??

And are there advantages and disadvantages of doing this?

I assume its very similar to bicycle gearing but I wanted to ask before I spend the cash and headache.

Please give me your insight and knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Sprocket Gearing Questions? Need a Guru

My a35 bike came stock with 26/22 gearing. With a lower gearing of 24/24, two things will happen... You will have more torque off the line and through the rpm range, and you will have a little bit lower top speed (unless you do work to increase engine rpms. On my race bike I'm currently playing with 26/28 gearing instead of 26/22, but I'm turning really high rpms too so it evens out (still much faster than stock).

.♠.MSG .♠. /

Faster on low end or top end?

With my gearing right now, Im much faster all around, but my bike is in no way stock. If I were to gear it back to 26/22, my top speed would be about 10mph higher than it is now (but for what I want, top speed is not what I'm looking for). For your bike however, lowering the gearing to the 24/24 will give more torque while sacrificing some top end speed. If you gear higher, say 26/22 or 27/24 (something like that) you will have a bit less torque but a little more top speed.

As Josh numero oneo said:

Front:

Bigger = topend ^, acceleration V

Smaller = Topend V, acceleration ^

Rear:

Bigger = topend V, acceleration ^

Smaller = topend ^, acceleration V

I run a 28/22 with an airsal kit. Thinking about going to a 28/20. The highest gearing you can go without modding anything is 27/22. This is just about perfect for a bike with a pipe and filter.

Christian Giron /

Hills? Need torque.

Flats? Go top speed.

I live in flats, so I use a 28/22.

Josh Cranston Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> With my gearing right now, Im much faster all

> around, but my bike is in no way stock. If I were

> to gear it back to 26/22, my top speed would be

> about 10mph higher than it is now (but for what I

> want, top speed is not what I'm looking for). For

> your bike however, lowering the gearing to the

> 24/24 will give more torque while sacrificing some

> top end speed. If you gear higher, say 26/22 or

> 27/24 (something like that) you will have a bit

> less torque but a little more top speed.

Who's making these 24T front and rear sprockets for an A35, better yet, the 28 rear?

classic carl jepsen /

a35 came with 26 front 22 rear

a3 came with 26 front 22 rear, but the different gearing in the motor makes it close to 26 front 24 rear

a55 comes with 26 front 28 rear

Tj, bought them right from treats yo. Real talk.

They even have a 22 front if ya REALLY want to go crazy. I also have a 31T rear from a streetmate wheel. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account