A55 Exhaust + Upjetting Question

I'm looking to get a Technigas pipe for my 2011 Tomos Sprint everything so far is stock. My main question is which size main jet should i purchase for this pipe? This is my first exhaust purchase for a moped so im not too sure what to expect. Any advice is appreciated.

Re: A55 Exhaust + Upjetting Question

Jonny Appleseed /

Pick up the carb upgrade kit from 1977mopeds + the technigas and you'll be good to go. Comes with the main jet thatll more ten likely work fine for you, an idle jet and an atomizer + high flow filter. Here's the link

You should grab a 22t rear sprocket while you're there. Cheapest speed you can get.

sweet thx bro, as far as exhaust installation is it difficult? I'm a total noob to upgrades

Jonny Appleseed /

Nahh, its literally just like 4 bolts and the exhaust will drop right off. Carbs pretty simple too, just look up how to change a main jet if you don't already know

I don't know how and why you would promote or advertise that kit. It absolutely will not work. If You want problems and never get it dialed in, that is the kit for you. Run a 58 jet and the stock air box. Stock air box has the best flow with the stock carb. If you have to have a free flow air filter use a 60 jet. Use the stock infuser and idle jet. When your motor is warmed up adjust the mixture screw to where it runs best. That should be around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out, you do the tuning.

Jonny Appleseed /

Marvin Yee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't know how and why you would promote or

> advertise that kit. It absolutely will not work.

> If You want problems and never get it dialed in,

> that is the kit for.

I've used the kit on multiple occasions on different bikes and it has always worked flawlessly. You've clearly never used it before if you are under the impression that it "absolutely will not work". It was designed to be the ideal upgrade kit for a stock cylinder + performance exhaust.

If you knew anything, you'd know that the stock airbox is restricted in multiple places. Obviously, restricted air flow is not ideal. You COULD use the stock airbox if it were to be de-restricted but there is a great deal of trial and error that goes along with that and the carb kit is the easiest option.

I ran for 1400 mi on that carb kit and a biturbo blasting at 40-45mph on the stock cylinder with a 22t rear sprocket with no problems/tuning issues. Ive also installed that indetical setup on several other bikes with identical results.

Quit talkin out of your ass, bud.

carl jepsen /

the stock airbox without the snorkel elbow (the newer ones don't have them) is about 1 mph slower than the uni filter. However, the airbox makes more power throughout the range by providing a low turbulence intake of air. The intake to the box is larger than the carb size, so that isn't really a restriction.

Jonny Appleseed Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Marvin Yee Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I don't know how and why you would promote or

> > advertise that kit. It absolutely will not

> work.

> > If You want problems and never get it dialed

> in,

> > that is the kit for.

>

> I've used the kit on multiple occasions on

> different bikes and it has always worked

> flawlessly. You've clearly never used it before if

> you are under the impression that it "absolutely

> will not work". It was designed to be the ideal

> upgrade kit for a stock cylinder + performance

> exhaust.

>

> If you knew anything, you'd know that the stock

> airbox is restricted in multiple places.

> Obviously, restricted air flow is not ideal. You

> COULD use the stock airbox if it were to be

> de-restricted but there is a great deal of trial

> and error that goes along with that and the carb

> kit is the easiest option.

>

> I ran for 1400 mi on that carb kit and a biturbo

> blasting at 40-45mph on the stock cylinder with a

> 22t rear sprocket with no problems/tuning issues.

> Ive also installed that indetical setup on several

> other bikes with identical results.

>

> Quit talkin out of your ass, bud.

I've been running the technigas (shortened) pipe with a 58 jet and stock airbox for nearly 3000 miles leaving biturbos in the dust at 48 on a flat at 51 on the downhills. I recommend sticking with the stock airbox, its cheaper and you keep more torque.

As far as the idiot talking crap to Marvin... Do a search and look at all the research that Marvin has done before telling him to quit talking out of his ass...

Correct me if I am wrong but just to get back to the point and help out the op don't you need to bend that pipe to get it to work on the sprint?

Jonny Appleseed /

I'm sorry, but when you make such an unconditional state such as "it ABSOLUTELY will not work" you are simply being misleading.

As for the stock airbox, In addition to the snorkel, it is restricted by the hole itself that it intakes air through. To fully de-restrict you'd have to drill additional holes which is mostly trial and error. For a beginner, you'd be better off getting a bolt and go kit like I reccomend.

first thing newbs need to do is read the wiki. learn everything you can about that which you want to do. then buy parts. Spending more money isnt the best solution to propose to a beginner... research/learning/help is the best solution.

While its true the stock airbox will lower the top speed a little (3mph for me), ive found (through lots of experimentation) that starting+idling+general performance are far more consistent with the airbox, even with holes drilled in the rear and the snorkel end hacked off.

i have over 7K miles on my streetmates, throughout temp ranges of 30-110 degrees, no problems other than flat tires, needing to install the winter/summer main jets, and other general maintenance. (edited)

Open the air box , cut the snorkel off. And hack saw the air box in half

58 jet

Larger exhaust gasket

Techno bullet a55 pipe from treats

22 tooth rear sprocket

43/45 mph all day dependable..

Technigas is expensive , but looks cool

Well.... or should I say "Oh my God".... You go Johnny!

No trial and error here. Chart your jets on the dyno. I think my ass is smarter than you. Good bye.

Yeah man just do what these other guys tell you if your new at this, a exhaust and up jet is a good place to start.

So i ended up goign with the technigas + that kit as well as 22t rear sprocket i was recomended. Im torn as to whether or not i should use the aftermarket air filter. I know the other 3 upgrades will give me performance boosts.

So sorry. I will answer your question. If you bought the pipe for an a55 it should work. The big question is the word should. All a55s have the same angle exhaust port and therefore should fit. Sometimes they need to be fudged to fit. About 95% will fit. Now that you have the pipe you can tell us if it is a good snug fit. I had 2 pipes that fit my Revival and 1 that didn't.

However way you want to build it is up to you.

Thanks marvin, Im still waiting on it to arrive actually. But im gonna hope it fits without any modifications. Ill use the jet that kit came with and test out both stock and the uni air filters. I appreciate the insight.

i ended up using 2 exhaust gaskets for my technigas pipe

My bike = 28f/24r gearing, tecnigas next pipe, cut stock snorkel/elbow thing off intake, drilled a few holes in the air box. Stock idle jet, stock needle with clip in second from top, 64 main jet. Runs very well. Awesome acceleration and tops out at about 40mph. I might be a hair rich on top with the 64, I may try a 62. Could go to the 22t rear for more speed, but I don't need it for where I drive.

Joseph Red Beard /

If i would have seen this sooner i would have recommended the new treats a55 black pipe. thing looks, sounds, and performs flawlessly so far.

most of these guys have it right with the jets and other advice, the only thing ive done different is said the hell with it and run no filter, sometimes with a piece of pantyhouse or cheesecloth wrapped over it for some filter, but overall it's been just fine and getting me low 40's wherever i go with no problems. Good luck buddy!!

I have the A55 Technigas Next R on mine. If you install it as it comes your kickstand will not go up all the way and will grind at the slightest cornering. I had to have my pipe heated/bent up about an inch and a custom bracket fabricated out of steel did the trick. Kickstand goes up like stock and zero scrapes. I was hitting 35-38mph with stock cylinder, 22t rear, 58 main, and UNI. I then upgraded to the Airsal 70cc kit, 80 main, and I average 44-47. I'm also carrying 230lbs so it would probably hit 50+ if I was lighter...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account