vespa ciao DR kit

any words of wisdom / advice for a DR 43mm 12 pin vespa kit install?

Re: vespa ciao DR kit

just match the skirt to the top transfers. don't go all the way back. like little scoops taken out of the mating surface. it just wastes case pressure if u go all the way back. ramp the side transfers just enough for a smooth transition. i've been blasting mine for around 2 years w/ various pipes. i run a 69 or 70 jet in my 13 sha w/ opened intake and malossi knockoff airbox. didn't mess w/ the crank at all. i get damn close to 50mph w/ good takeoff with the calibratta. i had an old style malossi too bad and that did 45 w/ crazy wheelie power. polini variator and morini style rear clutch. when i first put it together i ran the stock head with no gaskets, just compound on the base. it was fine. then i got the proper head (dr) and put a base gasket in there when i got the calibratta. i never really put much into timing it, just had the points a little more open w/ the circuit, and a little less open w/ the cali. i think mine gets a little hot if i run it wot for a few miles, but i've never seized it.

needs a little chamfering of the ports, but dr chamfered the rings so that was nice.

is this your first kit?

great kits!

as of right now i have the new rear variator [working thanks to your advice] 13.13 pacco with a 71 jet, drilled out polini air box, 64 cc olympia kit and a proma circut pipe with stock variator, im hitting low 40's

i have never messed with any kit before, always just plug n played with the olympia.

i put the base gasket in place on the cylinder and noticed that theres alot of over hanging metal exposed in the openings of the gasket, since im mildly retarded is that material what needs to be removed?

thanks for all advice

the base gaskets they come with are usually crap. i make my own from gasket paper from auto parts stores. get it really exact to the kit. this may take a few tries. then yeah, make the case match up. but just ramp it. just smooth out the transition. the dr kit has kinda big transfers, and gets close to the edge in a few spots. just make sure you leave at least a solid mm of gasket space on the case. and don't go too deep, or you will poke thru and have to get crazy w/ the jb weld.

i had a pacco for a while, but it got janky on me. they're ok, probly fine if you can get ethanol free gas. but i'm glad i got the real mc'coy dellorto now.

r those peugeot forks? that's what i got. i hate the ciao springers. i ran rigids for a while. you will die if you hit a pothole with the rigids, but your ability to dodge them improves greatly. 45 ish on the full rigid is the definition of a white knuckle ride.

^^ I agree the metal gaskets that come with the kits (at least my polini) suck and won't seal very well.. Do your self a favor and use that supplied gasket to trade some onto real gasket paper..

theyre actually grande forks with a 17" grande front wheel

gasket wasnt even metal, it appears to be compressed recycled paper lol

yeah. loose that crap and get some fel-pro from autozone. i take the kit in one hand and lay a piece of g.paper across the palm of the other, then kinda press the skirt into the paper. trim out the circle for the skirt to fit in. then lay the paper on the mating surface. push your finger over the stud holes, get them perfect, then do the transfers. get it really perfect. then use that as a template for matching. i use a tile cutter bit in a dremel on a pretty low speed. then some emory cloth. nice smooth transition.

then just slther it in indian head and put it together w/ no gasket, if you wanna be BA.

Yup I love my dr, I had pug, then hobbit, now the vespa..

I didn't do any chamfering or crap. Just the port matching as above, and making a new gasket. Good mid range power and very quiet too, good quality in those dr's

I did think that, when doing the case matching, the one transfer got pretty close to the edge of the sealing surface, I kept that one back in a bit.

^ Its cool that you got away with only port matching, but don't recommend it to others..

These kits aren't really cheap so why half ass it? Chamfering is important, my kits windows came sharp as hell. Ring gap needs to be look into aswell.. If nothing else its good practice

Don't skimp out on the little things. (edited)

True, I probably don't do as much stuff when it comes to kit prep, mic'ing, etc.

I just don't have time

I've built six kitted mopeds in the last two months, and they all run great sozzz

But don't cut corners! ALWAYS check your ring gap! Chamfer those ports! Take the crank out to do the case matching! Replace your bearings an seals! Make new gaskets! Lap your head! Check for air leaks!

It's called blue printing

so i smoothed out the edges of all the ports, i didnt do anything extreme just rounded them so they werent sharp.

is this the extent of chamfering?

Justin Davis /

Quick question what happens when they leak?

I used the stock on my 43 polini kit on bravo and you can see where it blows out a little

Tim Ostrom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yeah. loose that crap and get some fel-pro from

> autozone. i take the kit in one hand and lay a

> piece of g.paper across the palm of the other,

> then kinda press the skirt into the paper. trim

> out the circle for the skirt to fit in. then lay

> the paper on the mating surface. push your finger

> over the stud holes, get them perfect, then do the

> transfers. get it really perfect. then use that as

> a template for matching. i use a tile cutter bit

> in a dremel on a pretty low speed. then some emory

> cloth. nice smooth transition.

>

> then just slther it in indian head and put it

> together w/ no gasket, if you wanna be BA.

so we went and pulled off the old olympia kit..broken circlip..wrist pin partly moved lovely gouges / smears in cylinder wall..

i guess its time for a rebuild case cause i cant find that missing part of the clip

FML

So today i spent a little bit chamferin my ports. [not extreme just smoothed out the razor edges] got my brother over here so we could wrangle my kids / throw the DR kit on..

pull the head off the olympia kit...pull the old kit off and discover that i broke a circlip and have been running with 1 whole circlip, wrist pin moved half out, semi exploded side of a piston and a nice double smear and dent in the cylinder wall on each side where the wrist pin lines up..

funny thing is that i was still doing high 30's with an fuct up piston.

time for a rebuild [cant find broken bit]

so the new line up is:

43mm DR kit

bored intake [13mm]

TOP racing 12 pin crank

proma exhaust

brandy new rear variator

grande forks

puch fairing and headlight

whenever i have airleaks on my ciao, it will back/mis fire at the top. very predictable. never had a base gasket area leak tho, only at carb/intake or exhaust collar.

UPDATE:

drilled out intake to 13mm

installed new bearings and seals

installed this crank: mazzucchelli-vespa-12-pin-anticpato-race-crank-

this morning i re installed all electonics cam collar and collar shim

but i am having trouble installing the flywheel over the woodruff key..

am i just retarded or is it always this hard to do it

you might be retarded.

YES! i always knew my moped issues were due to numerous head injuries

I was just looking at the Ciao engine design and how it's belt drive. would it be possible to convert it to a chain drive system?

me thinks that the wood ruff key is too large as it doenst fit the slot well at all. i guess ill spend the evening filing it down to fit

hey joey, why? u no like variators?

Well I heard from mike beez that you have to gring the kit, but that it can be done with sandpaper wrapped around a skateboard wheel and attached to a drill

Hey Ben, just had the EXACT same thing happen to my Olympia kit on my Ciao! DR kit is in the mail from treats. How did your DR end up performing?

ummm i actually just got the flywheel back on after a lot of trial and error woodruff key filing. [go buy a bastard file if you dont have one] and as of this morning i reinstalled the engine, variator and re wired it before my wife decided to chew my ass out for playing with my stupid mopeds and not the children..

ill install the carb after they all to bed and see if it fires up!

i want to hear about that crank.

I have one of those cranks. I don't think it is cut deep for the wood ruff, jacked up two keys trying to get the flywheel on. ground down a key but got abit of a wobble on the flywheel. I have an athena crank in Olympia kit and that one is nice.

Zacarias Aviles /

Can someone make me a dr kit base gasket

Lmao at bumping this old thread for a gasket request.

Cut your own, its not hard

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account