Why Type F? And Other Oil Reccomendations

Last night I lost the oil level check plug on my ZA at my friend's garage. We found the right size bolt, so that wasn't an issue, but I had spilled my ATF (Type F) everywhere. The only fluid we had nearby was generic ATF (not Type F).

This started a debate about whether or not you could use generic ATF in place of Type F ATF. I searched some threads on Moped Army, and indeed some people said it was fine, but no one explained why. So, some questions:

What is so different about Type F?

Why did Puch (and other companies) determine that this was suitable for mopeds?

What other oils and fluids have you successfully run in what engines? How did they affect performance?

One note: I once put this non-detergent motor oil we have since dubbed "Billy's Mystery Oil" in an E50, which, before long, started making all the sounds of hell and died out. We think it may be a bad clutch bushing, but it sounds pretty evil in there (haven't opened it yet). Thoughts on that?

Re: Why Type F? And Other Oil Reccomendations

Many people run other ATFs or oils in their transmissions to change the slip/grip of the clutch and the cooling capability.

I like maxima 75w clutchsaver formula.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Straight SAE 30 seems to work the best for me in my tomos

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Straight SAE 30 seems to work the best for me in my tomos. I've messed around with different oils, double filling, etc. and that seems to be the most reliable for me.

here is what I found in regards to tomos:

type a and mercon dexron slip out smoothly

type f slips out a little less and grabs more firmly

30 weight nd slips a little and grabs even harder

matt mix is pretty close to 30 weight

type f was made for old ford cars/ trucks back in the 70's

the only thing different about it is that it has a friction modifier added to it to help with clutch slipping

i've been trying different oils too..... i just did the tomos wiki & it still shifts @15

next i'm going to try the motuls 40wt trans oil , its a little thicker ....i'll just overfill it till i get it to shift where i want it

Darrell Gabbard /

i think type f was used on a ford tranny that was made by JATCO for 2 yrs other than that it was used in a lot of pwr steering units by all mfgrs. type f didnt contain a whole lot of detergents in it as other tranny fluids did

So how hot does transmission get before its .. turn into ..hmm mud?

Always run a oil.. and not a fluid. bill, new clutch springs will help instead of playing with the fluids/oils.

Overpriced Parts /

0-20w synthetic all my puch engines

Over fill 40-50% too

You doubler up the crankshaft seals also.. when you over fill them you risk.. a crankseal, imo.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account