wtf... treats cdi. weird advance curve

I have an older treats cdi on an E50. I'm using a timing light to set the timing. At idle its at 14 degrees, then I rev it and it goes to 30 something degrees... Why is it advancing like this?

Re: wtf... treats cdi. weird advance curve

May be for use on a za50 , reverse rotation ?

The arrow on the fly wheel points opposite way of engine rotation, you might be right.

those flywheels always have the arrow pointing counter clockwise if i'm not mistaken. all the treats cdi's i've ever seen, which is a lot, have had the arrow facing counter clockwise.

lol. The cdi doesn't give two fucks what way the flywheel is spinning. It only delays the pulse from the pulsar coil to the scr, depending on rpm(frequency), via the oscillator(or a digital circuit). That pulse then triggers the scr to dump the capacitor into the external coil causing a step up in voltage and the spark to jump across the sparkplug gap. Cdi's are supposed to retard at low rpm to make starting easier, it's easiest to create ignition with the most amount of cylinder pressure ie: tdc. Then it's supposed to quickly advance to get combustion pressure to peak at correct degree after tdc. <<<Two stroke cdi's advance and retard, not just retard. But they must retard because the pipe hit and squish velocity both make the mix burn faster so to keep the same location of peak pressure it must retard timing to maintain the same location of peak pressure as the rpm rises. Then it should retard a ton after peak hp to extend the pipes hit by raising egt.

Simple answer: you got a cdi more suitable to a four stroke. But count your blessing you got any timing change at all, a lot of cheap cdi's are totally static. Set it up where it tops out at 14btdc and let it retard to 0 degrees when starting. It's trying to do what it's meant to do, making starting easier. (edited)

the arrow always points that way.

Index the CDI (point where target and trigger are in alignment) at the maximum you want to risk advance BTDC. This is the safest way to set up any CDI because the box can not shoot a spark before it is told to do so at any advance curve mapping. It may send the signal at low RPM almost exact at TDC which is alright, just starts easier. If it shoots a spark AFTER tdc then you will have to reassess where you want to risk the full advance.

Treats cdi doesn't have a curve. You probably have a bum box.

Man, all three of my treats boxes, and my yellow non curve pietcard box all got wacky curves... Idk they still work so I ride, buts it's strange!

those things are whack! mine got all screwy after a few moths. i swear my bike ran backwards once or twice. i've been back on points ever since. gonna try a pietcard w/ a curve next on my gila. those cheapo cdi's are too janky and don't prove the reliability i require for my every day commute.

Jake P Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Treats cdi doesn't have a curve. You probably have

> a bum box.

Not true

That is why there is za50 and e50 boxes, try switching between the two and see what happens

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account