hobbit pa50 only getting 13 mph

im new to this moped and know that 20mph is the top for this model, but i am only getting 13. seems like i might have the wrong drive belt because i feel it slipping when im near the topend. anything else i should check as a preliminary measure before i start taking things apart? thank you.

Re: hobbit pa50 only getting 13 mph

Adjust drive belt tension. Rear pulley should have the belt riding inside it 2mm. If you put it on the centerstand and spin the wheel by hand a few times then check how far it is inside. If its an old hobbit my old belt started to stretch pretty quick. ~200mi and it was useless.

I would also guess plugged exhaust possibly. Remove, unbolt the service plug in the side of it to get the gunk out, burn it in a fire, whack it with a 2x4 or something, replace with a new copper gasket. Also when you have the pipe out check how caked up the exhaust port is.

Maybe try removing your air filter and see if that gains you speed. it might be over oiled. Flip the choke on while your riding and see if you gain speed, carburetor might be running a little lean?

Oah yeah, then there is the whole variator. I would recommend a strap wrench to hold the front variator. Then use some adjustable pliers or the tool that comes in the 'secret compartment' under the rack on the rear in the frame. to unscrew the huge nut. Got to unstake it first also. The weights might have flat spots so they dont allow the engine rpm to gradually pick up speed, rather they fling out and choke the engine -sort-of- by bogging it.

Thats all really easy stuff to check but if its your first time its a learning experience.

there is a belt adjustment on the rear wheel you can try tightening it. Also, your exhaust might be clogged.

that sucks. that's slow as fuck. thirteen? have you GPS'd it?

I hate people coming on here making claims of how fast their bikes go without decent verification. and don't tell me about your trailtech cuz who knows how you're got that thing programmed.

Yep WillD He is a good new user. He calls it as he sees it off the hobbit speedo.

Oah yeah and pictures help also, we like pictures.

I Made that for you <3 <3 <3

There is 4 bolts. the 2 top ones on each side of the hobbit are the pivots. the bottoms are the adjusters. You will see notches. Match them as close as possible - but it is a moped do NOT fret if they are not perfect Get them as close as you can but be reasonable.

Guys guys guys.

His variator weights are stuck..

If a hobbit can't do over 17, it is weights-ramp plate are stuck-wedged.

IT is THE wEIGHTS in THE vARIATOR.

Well he still has to do all that we say 1!!!!11 PFFFFT because we know his next question ?

HOW DO I GET MY HOBBIT TO GO FASTER THAN 20MPH?!!?!?!?!?

Yep yep.

Holy crap, thanks Kozantos for that tidbit on how the secret tool that actually fits the vario nut. I thought it was just a spark plug wrench and a screwdriver.

This will be much better than those tongue-and-groove pliers which destroy the nut a little each time.

No problem! I don't even have one hehe!

Uhh my tool only has a screwdriver and spark plug socket, what does your look like?

Emil Kniemel /

haha i just tried this too. no way the sparkplug wrench is gonna fit that variator nut..

No no, there is an extra tool that comes in the toolkit I thought

Maybe its just an optional tool nevermind o_O

you could make it. Sheet of metal and trace the nut, cut it out and make a curvey handle.

Poor op didn't come back to the moped army. he forgot he posted online!

Nope, that secret toolkit really is just a spark plug socket and screwdriver. I feel so let down.

Emil Kniemel /

aw man i thought you verified it. oh well.

a real tool that works is a bicycle headset wrench.

check variator with a huge adjustable.

I will always remember that day. The day Kozanatos let the peoples of the Hobbits down.

but but most of my stuff is hondas and maybe I was thinking of my bikes toolkit or something and and I look at a lot of older bikes and and //excuses .... Fail ;P

thank you for all this info. i really appreciate it. now for my 2nd newbie question of the day, how do i unstick the weights? ive taken the variator plate off, see the weights... now what?!?!? thanks for your patience!!!!

Well it is not that they are stuck, its the ramps that the weights roll outward on are damaged, or the 2 caps on each side of the weights are flat spotted i think

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account