Tomos Tranny grind

Why is it like this?

Re: Tomos Tranny grind

Does it go away once the clutch engages and the bike starts moving forward?

some possible issues(in order of what i consider to be most probable):

a) idle speed is too high, causing 1st gear clutch shoes to chatter w/o actually engaging

- you need to adjust the mix screw and the idle speed to get it to idle smoother+slower

-should stop once the engine RPMs are high/low enough

b) your Claw +/- Collar is F'ed (the ratcheting mechanism on the rear shaft)

- should be quieter at higher RPMs

- should be louder when rotating the pedal/kick shaft while the engine is running

My Blue Streetmate has both of these conditions, i'm pretty sure its a)

Saabs, the bike does get better with revs, but I thought it might just be getting drowned out by pipe and carb noise.

The revs to the moon on the stand, but like shit with me on it, maybe 18mph top speed. No external air leaks..... I suspect that the running like shit issues might be timing related and separate from the tranny grind.

Aaron, just after this video I replaced the 1st gear clutch with Ed's twenty lbs springs and lighted a3 shoes, the sound did get a little better but still there :(

Think I'm gonna dig deeper tomorrow

dude its just idling too fast... tune the carb so that it'll idle realllllly slow. dont make me make a video :).

if you kick it with the kill switch on off can you hear a rattle like spray paint ?

if so, maybe the countershaft bearing not the clutch cover one

but the one in that hole in the case that you said was leaking in the other post.

that bearing looses balls and just rattles in place.

well i did anyway, i have a free account so im "waiting in line" for another 30 min or so.

(edited)

AH HA! i cant post the video and have it embed properly until after its done "converting"...wierd

(edited)

On the bottom of each clutch shoe there is a little cork insert. I suspect it's purpose is to dampen vibration between the shoes and the hub.

i didnt look for those before installing the replacement shoes

i also used the original springs, it possible they were stretched when the 1st gear clutch ripped all its cork off, thus becoming stuck engaged.

So i opened my tranny today to look at the clutches and fix a leaky drain plug and discovered that my clutches are pristine and ...My capitain hook is broken!!! maybe thats the cause of the aweful noise? (edited)

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

No external leak, maybe your center case gasket is ghost. Had a motor that did the same thing. Rev Out hi, nothing when it had weight on it. I replaced everything, every seal/gasket except the center case. Did that and it magically worked fine.

yea, i think I'm going to just rebuild it all, and not waste time trying to hunt the issue down, now it just stopped starting despite perfect spark and unchanged conditions. I emailed previous owner of the engine and got no response so i don't have much info to go off of.

captain hook sprag didnt diminish the noise at all.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account