reed valves!

So I got some questions about reeds.

Do they really like smaller idle jets?

Is running a slightly restrictive air filter as bad as it is on a piston port?

And what do boyesen dual stage reeds exactly do in regards to jetting? Is it logical to think that they create a stronger carb signal so you'd need a smaller idle jet?

All these questions relate to an e50 with the 77 reed kit, 21phbg (45/88/w9 leanest), weakends sidebleed, points at 17°, blah blah blah blah.

Re: reed valves!

No.

That's not really too restrictive.

Idk.

Yes but they don't.

I think if anything your jetting would be fatter with reeds since there isn't a lot of that two steps forward one step back, my shoe smells like gas, air flow at low rpm like piston port. but idk.

Probably Fred /

Ya they could take a bigger idle jet

And more restrictive filter

I Use a k&n type filter for most everything

- Summerai - Corey Livieri /

I have the 70cc athena reed kit on my bike and actually had to go down into the high 30s for a idle jet. Otherwise, 1/8 throttle was four stroking like crazy.

Yea 45 is definitely wayyyy to rich, I almost tried a 37 idle but I didn't wanna jump from 45 especially on a new kit. It 4 strokes so hard it almost can't even get off the clutch.

- Summerai - Corey Livieri /

Yeah, I ran low 40s idle jet when I was breaking in the kit for a few months. Only recently did I go to a 39 I think.

my old puch gila 24tm used a 10 idle jet and my stock flatreed uses a 50 in a 15phbg and idles at 1500 all day long. tough to say just try stuff out though it sucks to buy idle jets for 6 dollars each

you're using an AU atomizer right

i didnt change any carburetor settings when i added dual stage reeds to mb5 but i mightve missed some power due to that.

k&n filters i use whenever i can too

Your stock flatreed is beyond awesome. I think I might need to get a Derbi, but I gotta get these Puch's squared away first.

I got an AU atomizer in there. The local moped shop Pirate Cycles is open today so I'm gonna go get a bunch of jets and shit to get this setup tuned right. At least I don't have to wait/pay for shipping.

This bike idles waaaaaaay past 1500rpms, if you couldn't tell at the rally ha. And it 4 strokes everywhere. I'll post back with results later today. Thanks for the input though guys, maybe one day you guys will see this setup at cherry valley....

my heart has valves.

And I bet they are crusty...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account