Source for sachs aluminum motor mounts

Here's the McMaster number for some round aluminum bar pretty close to what you need. Bring it down or just ram it through... I rammed it through. $13 for 1ft - enough to do at least two motors. Ram the bar through - hack it off with a hack saw - go to the next one.

Drill your hole for your bolt and be done - you'll probably need some washers too.

You're welcome.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=86985K411

Re: Source for sachs aluminum motor mounts

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

Nyce!!!!

hell ya so simple great idea!

Thanks alot man buying that stock today!

Ryan is killing it with Mopeds.

Probably Fred /

Kinda hard to drill a hole straight after its rammed in/installed don't you think?

Deadped Ryan /

Drilling worked out fine. I did one in the drill press and a one clamped to a level table top with a drill that had a bubble level in it.

The next time I do this, I'm going to try the following.

I will totally take the OD of the bar down a bit. I actually had one of my bands on the mounts of one of the two motors I did crack a little after a couple months. I'd imagine maybe 10mins with some 60 or 40 grit would do ya fine to bring the OD down to make it easier to hammer in and not crack at all. You still want it to be a compression fit, but maybe just not AS snug.

I'd also maybe play with leaving the mount long enough so I didn't have to run washers to space out the mounts from the frame. If you notice, the bushings stick out a little from the mounts and I cut the press in mounts off flush.

Here's where one of my motor mount bands cracked - just one side on one motor - the other motor is fine. The one that cracked was the first one I installed and the one I was the roughest on.

what is going to happen with no bushing? that is going to crack the mount definitely. Is there something I am missing?

Deadped Ryan /

Puchs, vespa, derbi, garelli, minarelli, honda, tomos, CT70's, C70's, S90's, CB's - none of those have mount bushings.

The only thing the bushing is going to do is break your exhaust flange off your cylinder. Rigid mount is a necessity on sachs. (edited)

What are the pros and cons with the moped factory bushings and aluminum ones?

Deadped Ryan /

This is ghetto, moped factory is really nice.

If you're on the cheaps, buy the stock.

If you want clean and nice, buy moped factory.

Maybe some day if sachs takes off I'll make some aluminum ones machined to fit all nice like - but I don't see that any time soon and graham has got the market corned on the "nice" end of the market. The MF ones look like you press the sleeve from your old bushings into the new ones.

Also, if you buy moped factory - you're buying a Graham Motzing's creation, which is cool and awesome.

I think MF bushings are maybe PTFE... They might be some sort of polyurethane too. Not sure. They come from Graham though so I'm sure they're really nice and way better than the flimsy rubber ones that come stock. (edited)

I have used Graham's stuff before and will attest for his great workmanship.

PFTE would cost WAY too much. If you are going to make plastic ones, use acetal, or UHMW. Acetal rod is harder, and machines easier, and UHMW will absorb a little of the vibration, but is a little hard to keep dimensionally accurate.

It's also easiest to just make one of the mounts solid, that way you don't have to worry about drilling 3 accurately on a 505, or 2 on a 504.

Deadped Ryan /

PTFE, not PFTE... My other guess was polyurethane as that's what all performance suspension bushings are made out of - the white just made me think that maybe it's PTFE.

Like I said, I don't know what they're made of, maybe Graham will chime in.

Only rigid mounting 1 is a cool idea - I hadn't thought of that. The only downside I can think of to that is that all of the vibration from the engine is going to be absorbed through one mount into the frame as opposed to 3 - depending on your setup that could be totally fine (especially stock).

Have you personally run just one rigid mount? I'd like to hear how that worked out! It'd be the same result (preventing the engine from twisting) for much less effort and material - great idea!

I'll be sure to give that a go on my stock D motor... I feel more comfortable with all 3 mounts rigid on my 80's though. (edited)

Deadped Ryan /

Sorry... didn't mean to come off as a dick... I re-read this and it sounds douchey... I don't know if there's a difference between PTFE and PFTE... I was talking about the white plastic PTFE... not sure how much that stuff runs...

If you've run one rigid mount I'd love to hear how that went...

>

> The only thing the bushing is going to do is break

> your exhaust flange off your cylinder. Rigid mount

> is a necessity on sachs.

tru.

I also feel like it vibrates LESS with the rigid mounts. doesnt get as much resonance oscillation or something. those rubber mounts are silly and problemful

Very true. My engine would rock side to side, just from peddling let alone when it was at high rpm. 30 year old rubber never helps either.

It firmed the engine up for sure.

I mistyped PTFE, or teflon. I've been doing inside sales at a plastic wholesaler, and it's about 4X more expensive than the other materials I mentioned. The biggest benefit is that teflon is heat resistant compared to acetal.

Yeah they are acetal. I love that shit. It does a really nice job of absorbing vibration. My first mounts were aluminum and the fretted the case, basically "wallerd it out" from the vibration. The tube is also key because it gets clamped axially between the mount bolts.

You could try just running one set of my mounts too, split it with some buddies? I dunno have t tried it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account