Can't find timing marks on a stock Maxi

Jeff Woodin /

Took off my flywheel cover but I can't find the T and F marks like Fred's guide talks about. I also can't see any marks on the engine case. Is it normal for these to get worn away on older bikes? Mine's a 77 Maxi, 1.5 hp. How can I set the timing if I can't find these marks?

Re: Can't find timing marks on a stock Maxi

Some came with them and others didn't..

You need to create a reference point on the case by the flywheel....

Actually I would type this all out but there is a thread about callipers vs micrometers very recently that talks about this in great detail. There is even a video linked. Check it out.

i have never seen facroty timing marks on a puch. just use a marker or something sharp to make some.

The split where the cases meet makes a nice reference point.

timothy rendall /

Hello! I also don't have marks on the fly wheel, but I looked it up on the WIKI and on you -tube It is quite easy to do.

First set your points to the right gap.

Then Find T.D.C. and put a mark on your fly wheel next to the split in the case ( I used the rear split as it was easyer to use)

Next make a mark 16 to 18mm to the left or right depending on your crank rotation of your modle

This is your timing mark.

I used a zenon timing light to get mine spot on.

I hope this helps.

( to all you out there who have been doing this for years sorry if not 100% but every one was a newby once. and I'm more used to 4strokes)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account