Tomos Gearing: What do you have and whats your top speed?

.♠.MSG .♠. /

Tomos Gearing: What do you have and whats your top speed?

Just curious to know what gear your running with and your results.

Sprocket gearing?

Kit?

Carb Size?

Intake?

Exhaust?

Re: Tomos Gearing: What do you have and whats your top speed?

27/22

a35 sprint

Biturbo

14/12 carb w/58 jet

I hit abour 42 or so on a flat

spreadsheet ?

Streetmate R 2009 stock with Uni filter, carb mods, Biturbo does 40-41 with 260 pound rider. Slugo is his name.

Mike Piarowski /

A3

70cc kstar

Stock ignition

Vm 20

Mlm

31-22

55mph

27-22

15:15 > 80 mainjet

brown reed block

Techno Hunter

64cc DMP > Ported Intake/ Piston Window

custom cut magnum head

Points ignition, point gap small as it gets, plug Gap is at .020, very high compression

i blow everyone off the line, and touch 50mph

Juicy Fart Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A3

> 70cc kstar

> Stock ignition

> Vm 20

> Mlm

> 31-22

> 55mph

WOW!! a 31 front! My question is, are you still able to use the Electric Starter??

I have 2011 StreetMate R geared 28 front & 22 rear AND Still use the Side cover modified to keep the chain lube out. Airsal 65 CC and 17.5 Dellorto (Still working on the Jetting and plan to use 14 MM Stock Infuser) RIght now, 78 Main, 25 Pilot, 40 Choke, A-7 Needle and 210 Infuser. Tecnigas Next R exhaust. The head has a 0.050 Squish and the Ports were not raised but cleaned up.

51.8 MPH GPS this was with the 14 MM Dellorto.

I forgot to add that on the "Spreadsheet" I never saw anyone that mentioned the Infuser! There is no space for it and not in the notes either!! (edited)

Vincent Hill Wrote:

> WOW!! a 31 front! My question is, are you still

> able to use the Electric Starter??

electric start didnt happen until 04'

jeez you must be a WIMP!

Jonny Appleseed /

27/22

A55 sprint

70cc airsal

14mm phva

76 main jet

UNI pod filter

Biturbo

Stock ignition

Doing about 42 on the flats. I think it's my ignition that's slowing me down cause the biOke runs great otherwise. (edited)

what's an infuser?

31X20 on a 17inch going 650000000000000mph

Mike Piarowski /

@ Vincent I don't have a

Electic start lol. It's an 85 golden bullet. Has an a3. I modified the case to sti use it

Mike Boyd Wrote:

> what's an infuser?

I think its for making tea, dude.

Juicy Fart Wrote:

> @ Vincent I don't have a

> Electic start lol. It's an 85 golden bullet. Has

> an a3. I modified the case to sti use it

NOW I understand Why the speed is not closer to 70!! I was thinking A55 not A3. Nice set up! I have removed my Pedals & have pegs on the end of the Pedal Shaft. I WANT A 29 Tooth Front so I can retain Electric Start but if u had electric start then I was getting a 31.

Steven Sabatinelli Wrote:

> Vincent Hill Wrote:

>

> > WOW!! a 31 front! My question is, are you still

> > able to use the Electric Starter??

> .

>

> electric start didnt happen until 04'

>

> jeez you must be a WIMP!

NO I have a Crank Pedal Bike that I have removed the Cranks and just Have Foot Pegs on the end of the pedal Shafts! I also hate the wierd position the Pedals put your feet in and how at a stop something is ALWAYS in the way.

Listen up Sonny, when I first started riding, No Motorcycle had a Starter and even some cars still had a Place for a Crank Handle if the battery would not turn it over!! OK??

Mike Boyd Wrote:

> what's an infuser?

A Needle Jet by another name,. That little Brass tube in the center of the Carb that helps to control the amount of Fuel the Main Jet and SLide Needle restrict. On the Tomos 14 MM Dellorto Stock is #209. 1 size Larger is a #210.

Now this is interesting, I would have thought the 70cc kit would help on top speed.

Jonny Appleseed Wrote:

yours - mine

> 27/22 - 27/26

> A55 sprint - A55 sprint engine (on a Streetmate chassis w/ Sprint Front end)

> 70cc airsal - stock

> 14mm phva - 14mm phva(its stock)

> 76 main jet - 58

> UNI pod filter - stock airbox, drilled some holes in the rear

> Biturbo (top range pipe) - Technigas Next R Silver Edition (low-mid range pipe)

> Stock ignition - Stock ignition

>

>

>

> Doing about 42 on the flats. I think it's my

> ignition that's slowing me down cause the biOke

> runs great otherwise.

only 42?...gah... Unless your bogging at your very top speed(RPM) and your plug is perfecto chocolate, its not your ignition.

Mine gets 40+ on the flats, very torquey, peak of the power curve is right at 35, reaches 40mph faster than most (kitted or not). I dont hit the limit of the ignition's timing-curve, but im sure its really close. You really dont need a kit to get a tomos up to 45mph. you just need to match up your pipe+exhaust timing+gearing such that the peak of the power curve is reached before the limit of the ignition's curve.

i had a similar setup to yours on an A35 Targa (except my carb+intake were 20mm instead of 14mm) that went 47+ on the flats and would accelerate up to +40 when going up steep hills. Its not your ignition, you just dont have the right combination of parts to reach your full potential.

07 Revival 50 cc

26/22 sprockets

05 a35 ST cdi ignition

stock 14 mm carb 53 jet

stock air box

exhaust port opened to header and raised 1.5 mm

intake - piston skirt ground 3.2 mm to open induction

high high comp head from treats - polished

47 to 51 mph on the flats and 55 down hills

24,000 miles and still going and I usually cruise at 47

calibrated cyclometer mounted on bike

112 mpg

Jonny Appleseed /

I don't understand how what you're saying is possible. Before I kitted, I ran a biturbo (high rpm powerband like you said) uni pod and a 22t rear sprocket on the stock cylinder + carb. I was able to touch 45 on the flats as I am now with the kit (only difference is I have loads more torque with the kit). how you're able to achieve the same speed as I used to on a stock cylinder with torquey-er gearing is beyond me.

The a35 setup doing 47 is totally believable though cause they had a higher revving ignition. I'm pretty sure it's my ignition that has to be restricting me. I'm not bogging on the top end (engine sounds great like its revving out completely) and since I'm going the same top speed on a kit with far more power then I was on the stock cylinder, the only variable that remains is the ignition.

points FTW

one difference i forgot, you have a sprint rear, i have a Streetmate rear, the tire is like 1" larger in diameter. I haven't done the math but i dont think its enough to completely account for the gearing difference.

"I'm not bogging on the top end...engine sounds great like its revving out completely... I'm going the same top speed on a kit with far more power then I was on the stock cylinder, the only variable that remains is the ignition."

Before i start listing potential problems/solutions, thanks for the very effective and concise description of your current situation and even posting in the correct forum.

Firstly, Air flow is quite possibly an issue, especially with that lil 14mm carb and bendy intake.

Secondly, BiTurbos really aren't that great on anything other than stock... pay-up for better pipe. mine was the best $150 i spent on that project.

Thirdly (maybe most importantly), Stock A55 top ends have freakin massive transfers, so your displacement is like 15cc's more... that's great for acceleration... but you cant move air but so fast through the same transfer size.

Fourthly, hitting the top of the curve on the ignition makes an aweful OMGWTFBBQ noise as you slow down until the RPMs are low enough for the timing to be in-sync again. So until this is happening, the ignition isn't whats holding you back. You always have the option of making small changes to the ignition timing (rotate stator plate) to enable a higher top speed.

Fifthly, you can replace the ignition with a linear ignition curve(er... rather NOT curved) to achieve higher RPMs, however, theyre harder to tune, They introduce other problems, engine wares quicker with higher RPMs. I find it far cheaper and easier to modify the power-curve of an engine with an ignition with a timing curve to take advantage of lower RPMs.

Lastly, money isn't the answer to moped problems, knowledge is (#24 from my profile).

happy tuning!

2011 ST

26x22

Stock 14mm phva 55 jet

Stock airbox

Shortened Technigas Next

I get 46-47 on the flats, and 51-52 on the downhills hitting the rev limiter :)

Jonny Appleseed /

thank you very much for the help. I guess the next step is to determine why I am not achieving maximum RPMs. Perhaps it would be beneficial to slightly retard my timing?

As far as pipes go for the the a55, there are unfortuneatly few alternatives to the biturbo that offer a high rpm powerband. From what I understand, technigas are primarily mid range pipes and would not be optimal for squeezing the max RPMs out of my engine.

Intake-wise I'm also screwed, there doesn't seem to be any available for the a55 that are straighter/accommodate a larger carb. Which bring me to my next point...

How much top end does a larger carb REALLY add? (with a matched intake and port) id prefer to keep a smaller carb for better throttle response.also, on the topic of porting, how much performance can one expect to gain if the intake, exhaust, and transfers are port matched with polished exhaust and transfers?

Lastly, foam filters like the UNI pod I have, are they too restrictive? I've heard conflicting opinions.

Jonny Appleseed Wrote:

> thank you very much for the help. I guess the next

> step is to determine why I am not achieving

> maximum RPMs. Perhaps it would be beneficial to

> slightly retard my timing?

actually you would advance your timing. If I remember correctly, the Tomos CDI box retards the timing as the RPMs increase. But i dont know what the formula is for the curve, so im not sure how effective it will be. theres a wiki article you can read that explains the concepts for this, probably named ignition timing.

>

> As far as pipes go for the the a55, there are

> unfortuneatly few alternatives to the biturbo that

> offer a high rpm powerband. From what I

> understand, technigas are primarily mid range

> pipes and would not be optimal for squeezing the

> max RPMs out of my engine.

Treats A55 pipe? its new and should be very similar to the Treats E50 pipe

>

> Intake-wise I'm also screwed, there doesn't seem

> to be any available for the a55 that are

> straighter/accommodate a larger carb. Which bring

> me to my next point...

there is an aftermarket intake for A55, thing 1977mopeds sells them.

>

> How much top end does a larger carb REALLY add?

> (with a matched intake and port) id prefer to keep

> a smaller carb for better throttle response.also,

> on the topic of porting, how much performance can

> one expect to gain if the intake, exhaust, and

> transfers are port matched with polished exhaust

> and transfers?

1) increased adjust-ability, which can allow you to more accurately tune the throttle positions, you dont need perfect throttle response from closed to WOT. The PHBG Tuning guide does a pretty good job of explaining it.

2) larger bore carb will have a much slower air velocity at WOT, this also makes it easier to tune the carb. But a carb thats too big will be impossible to tune. Read about the Venturi Effect, wikipedia also has good examples specifically for Carburetors.

3) however, you'll get much better gas milage with a smaller carb.

you can effectively use a stock or larger carb.

>

> Lastly, foam filters like the UNI pod I have, are

> they too restrictive? I've heard conflicting

> opinions.

a filter of any kind can restrict airflow, some guys just stretch panty-hose over the end of the carb. Since you have a stock carb, you may need something specifically for "high-flow".

Jonny Appleseed /

for higher RPMs why would you want to advance the timing? I thought retarding it resulted in higher RPMs and that's why CDI boxes retard it with a curve.

And Im pretty sure the uni pod air filter is specifically high flow

carl jepsen /

this thread is stupid

a stock tomos engine will go to 7000-7500 rpm and one with bolt on parts 9000-9500 maybe. like a35/a55 with a pipe.

this thread is full of so much misinformation I don't even

i hit 10 ooo rpms with biturrbo main jet and polini air filter

Saunders BluntFace.. /

08 sprint a55

28x20

treats ignition

Weakends pipe

4petal mallossi cage

Vm20

custom intake

Alukit 70

A3 clutches

GPS @ 65.2

Jonny Appleseed Wrote:

> for higher RPMs why would you want to advance the

> timing? I thought retarding it resulted in higher

> RPMs and that's why CDI boxes retard it with a

> curve.

>

> And Im pretty sure the uni pod air filter is

> specifically high flow

I read some test that showed a Paper / Gauze filter like the K&N Do flow better when Clean but do not flow as well Dirty. Every day you ride the Uni-FIlter slowly catches up to the K&N and eventually you have the change over where the K&N Is more restrictive. I have a Uni FIlter that I oiled but not as much as they siad. A Well Oiled K&N is fairly restrictive. After tuning a 250 Ninja I cleaned and reoiled the Airfilter and had to change to 1 step leaner Jet!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account