tuning and gearing

so I just put a new pipe on my st, and I'm in the process of going with a 28 front 22 rear sprocket change, and I'm looking for some information on jets. what jets to use for what circumstances, gearing the bike once i've chosen the rite jets and installed my sprockets for it's best performance. and just some advice on tuning and getting everything tip top once everything is settled. I know how to do all the work, I'm just new to tweaking these little engines.

advice?

Re: tuning and gearing

i could also use a good carb diagram if anyone knows where to find one

Cleats Onionpockets /

Are you running with a stock carb? If so, just put "tomos ST Carburetor Diagram" in google images and use the one that looks like yours.

If you put a new pipe on, I'm assuming you mean you put an expansion pipe on it? Which one? It's usually a safe bet to go up about four jet sizes to start, and fine tune it from there with one smaller or one larger depending on how it's running. It's not a matter of jetting it for various situations, jetting determines whether the engine runs rich (spluttery and crappy) or lean (overheats and locks up, booo).

As far as gearing, that is up to how you ride. If you have to deal with lots of steep hills (you're using a two speed, yes?) then you want a smaller gear up front and a larger gear in the back, compared to stock. If you find that the engine already performed pretty well on hills before, and you think you would like a little more top speed, then go smaller at the back and larger at the front. Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed help, or just poke around with the search function on the website with keywords. There's valid info here, but be warned...new folks tend to get hazed a bit by the folks that have been around for awhile, because what you're asking is something that's been rehashed dozens, if not hundreds of times already.

Cleats Onionpockets Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are you running with a stock carb? If so, just

> put "tomos ST Carburetor Diagram" in google images

> and use the one that looks like yours.

>

> If you put a new pipe on, I'm assuming you mean

> you put an expansion pipe on it? Which one? It's

> usually a safe bet to go up about four jet sizes

> to start, and fine tune it from there with one

> smaller or one larger depending on how it's

> running. It's not a matter of jetting it for

> various situations, jetting determines whether the

> engine runs rich (spluttery and crappy) or lean

> (overheats and locks up, booo).

>

> As far as gearing, that is up to how you ride. If

> you have to deal with lots of steep hills (you're

> using a two speed, yes?) then you want a smaller

> gear up front and a larger gear in the back,

> compared to stock. If you find that the engine

> already performed pretty well on hills before, and

> you think you would like a little more top speed,

> then go smaller at the back and larger at the

> front. Feel free to PM me if you want more

> detailed help, or just poke around with the search

> function on the website with keywords. There's

> valid info here, but be warned...new folks tend to

> get hazed a bit by the folks that have been around

> for awhile, because what you're asking is

> something that's been rehashed dozens, if not

> hundreds of times already.

Good Post! It does take a While to find everything available around here! The tell you where to look but never post the exact URL Address. The WIKI at the top of the sheet gives MOST of what everyone is running which is a good start. Not to mention the fact that the Thread Starter did not even mention what he had and that you had to look up his bike! You get the Kudo's today!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account