Hobbit variator slide piece

Just did an inspection after a weekend of riding with my newly notched variator.

All 3 of the slide pieces (#7 in pic) were busted up. Are those really needed? The plate still lines up correctly.

Did I go too far, or is this normal after a notch job.

Thanks,

hobbitvariator.png

Re: Hobbit variator slide piece

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Usually those break when people run those crazy clutch springs. Stock clutch springs FTW.

So... not needed?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I've heard of a couple people that don't run them, but they must be there for a reason. I would think that the ramp plate needs then for the correct weight movement.

On treats they are calling them plate guides.

So, now to figure out why they are all busted up. My ramps are pretty smooth, you can notice a *very* slight bump when the weight move all the way out. I'm talking hardly noticeable. I'll look at smoothing them out even...

Thanks

They are just there to keep the ramp plate even with the variator ramps,

and protect the 3 guides so the ramp plate doesn't gouge them.

They are very easy to make out of hdpe with a dremel (cutting board)

Thanks,

My thoughts are that I still need to find out why all 3 broke. I'll double check all three ramps and make sure they are relatively even with each other. I thought they were, and they are pretty smooth.

I'll look again tomorrow and see what I can see... Thanks

I have a theory that indeed high rpm springs can cause that,

but also gouged slides on the rear pulley can too.

The variator is trying to pull into higher gear, but has a hard time doing it because of the rear gouging, so the variator puts a lot more force into those poor lil plastic nublets and they crack.

Ummm plus they are old as hell . Old weak hard plastic will fail .

yeah you really need those. try lubing them with some grease, i like pfte (teflon) spray grease on my hobbit variators... much better.

Any tips for making them out of hdpe?

From what I can find online, basically create the mold in wood, then melt plastic bags into the form?

Thanks

I'm trying to find a puller so I can disassemble the rear variator. If there are gouges there, can I essentially file them down?

OK, everything is starting to make sense now. With out the nubs, the ramp late did a real number to the drive face. It gouged almost half the metal out on the support walls. I put over 70 miles on it over the weekend. So, I'm guessing if it were left alone it would sheer off in 70-100 miles.

So, I'm putting this thing on ice for awhile until I can take the time to fix/replace all correctly.

Good/bad timing in that I am leaving for a 240 mile ride on thursday. Probably wouldn't have made it too far. :)

Still going to make the trip, but on my back up sachs... Wonder what the single trip record is for a sachs?

Thanks for the help all!

You can mold them, but I just carve them with a dremel out of a cutting board. If you're handy, it only takes about 1/2hr to get em pretty good looking.

It's soft to carve, but very durable and slippery to slide on the rectangular pins on the vari.

That sounds a whole lot easier than trying to mold them. Thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account