Variating a Motobecane 50L and have sprocket ?

Okay, read the wiki and searched the forums but I'm still not entirely clear on the sprocket ratios. Been trying to read up on sprocket sizes and trying to wrap my head around what sprockets may give me the best combo. Any advice is appreciated.

50L upgraded with variator, 50V hook, 16:16 SHA, circuit pipe going on shortly.

For front sprocket options I have 11 and 13 (could always order something else).

For rear I have stock 48, 52, 56 (56 is stock 50V but on another bike)

Does anyone have knowledge, guess or opinion about what gear combo will work best?

13/52

11/52

Something else? (edited)

Re: Variating a Motobecane 50L and have sprocket ?

One will give you better top end and the other will give you more acceleration. One isn't "better" than the other

Got it.

Assuming I'll be urban riding mostly - some hills, stop and go, etc - I was trying to find the best combo for those situations without killing all top end.

The 50V is 11/56 stock I believe. Guess I'll go from 13/48 to the 13/52 set up and see what happens, then try the 11/52 and see what happens.

Just didn't know if anyone had tried any of these ratios. Would have gotten an even larger rear sprocket (and still could if suggested), just don't have one on hand.

Front stock gears come in 11, 12, 13 teeth, rears come in 44, 48. 54. There are a lot of bikes which also use Leleu rears and the gears are interchangeable for the same size brake drum from one to another.

Check your driven pulley latch arm before you plat mix n match with the drive gear. On the latch arm it will be indicated 11, 12 or 13 for which gear it will match up to, important if you do not want to have trouble of the latch skipping out of the gear.

Attached a gear chart for standard Moby sets.

13 - 44 will give you 3.38 ratio which is great on flats if you are a light weight then you would fly,

11 - 52 would give you 4.73 ratio which would launch you off the line quick but no goodly top end.

MobySprocketSets.JPG

Sweet. Thanks RebelMoby.

So it looks like I could leave it a 13 front and change out to a 52 on rear and get a 4.00, middle of the road/best of both worlds ratio? That said, the 13/48 on it now looks like it will give me a bit more top end and I'd rather it be good at one or the other than just okay at both.

I am lightweight (160) but driving in traffic, I still want a bit of a launch. I'll give it a try at 13/48 and adjust if needed.

Thanks for the chart. Exactly the info I was after.

Now if someone was handy with wiki and could put that on there please...

Russell Huddy /

My first moby had 12/48 and was slow off the line 12/54 on the same bike was alot better in traffic

11/54

Thanks for the advice.

Have a long ride next weekend so might go 11/48 for that one and switch to the 52 I have for city driving. Could also steal the 54 from my 50V.

13/48

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account