interesting south american rubber clutch mod...

so I found these browsing around an argentinian moped forum. this is a garelli clutch, but it works with any rubber clutch...

all I can read on these forums is whatever google translates it into, as I don't read spanish, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

it seems like all you do is cut a channel around the outside middle of the clutch and then run a wire/brake cable around the channel and weld it together at the ends.

but how exactly would this help to engage later?

Re: interesting south american rubber clutch mod...

Pablo Puchasso /

Maybe they hold up longer this way(?)... less tearing.

Interesting

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

the cable offers varied resistance to the expansion of the clutch, acting as a delaying action thereby increasing the rpm's needed to fully engage. perhaps try experimenting with different tensile strength metals?

Bump. Does anyone know more about this?

I'm trying to search Argentinian moped forums for more info, but it's so hard when you can't read spanish and google translate only works so well...

they have so much information on morini, garelli, and minarelli bikes. it's crazy.

here are some links to a couple forums I found...

http://ciclosargentinos.mforos.com/

http://www.2team.com.ar/forum/ (edited)

That's pretty ingenious. The ring of cable kind of acts like a roller or bearing and as something to hold it back from expanding and then the rpms have to be higher for the rubber to expand out past the ring. Are you coming to nathans on Wednesday?

Cesar Lizarraga /

If you need any help with the Spanish, I can translate it for you. Just point me in the direction of what exactly you might want translated.

looks like a snap ring almost, like puch uses to hold in the starter plate. you can probably weld or solder it off the rubber, and slip it on there once it is welded. maybe just having it in there with some bearing surface would do the trick.

I want to know more! What type of material did they use? Has anyone tried this that speaks english?

From what I read, they use brake cable. I've also seen a picture where it looks like they use a spring. I will have to try to find it...

✗ (ミ ̄ ー  ̄ミ)✗ /

bringing this back from the dead... sorry

anyone ever try this? I found a few more pics on their forum but I can barely understand what theyre saying even with google translate

looking for some opinions on this mod

I think everyone just bought hammer clutches. You have a 2 speed though, so you're already good.

welding cables is hard. if it comes off, it's gonna be bad.

Cut a groove. Bend a clothes hanger around it in the groove. Mark the length. Cut and weld. Put ring on clutch pad. Clutch pad on star thingy. Go faaaast.

I thought clothes hangers are made of shit pot metal crap. I'd be worried about the weld breaking and reaping havoc in there. Maybe a piece of wire made from better material would give peace of mind if that was the case?

Justin Gossett /

He said to use the hanger as a guide so you dont have to weld the wire onto the clutch.

It'd be a royal.pain but what if you unwound the cable then wound it back together as a loop? Single strand going around and around. Look up making a grommet from rope to see what I'm thinking. It'd just require a bit of a weld or maybe even solder to.keep it from unravelling.

✗ (ミ ̄ ー  ̄ミ)✗ /

M-Tenn Aaron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cut a groove. Bend a clothes hanger around it in

> the groove. Mark the length. Cut and weld. Put

> ring on clutch pad. Clutch pad on star thingy. Go

> faaaast.

have you tried this?

I have two sets of rubbers so i'm gonna try this on one first gear rubber to see what happens. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account