Vespa CIAO recommended repairs and upgrades

Joshua Bagwell /

I recently acquired a 1974 Vespa CIAO for $20 from someone moving out of the state. It hadnt been started in over 10 yrs and had flat tires. I got it home, added some gas, pumped up the tires and learned about the compression lever and it started.

I have a carb gasket kit and new petcock ordered because the float bowl leaked and the tank is full of rust. Besides fixing the carb and cleaning the tank what are the reccommended reapairs to be done since it does already run. I also live in very hilly area and am wondering if any upgrades will need to be done to make it up the hills...

Re: Vespa CIAO recommended repairs and upgrades

ciao is not variated.

you will have problems going up hills

better would be a bravo or grande

besides flushing out the gas tank as many times

as necessary i would also run an in line fuel

filter

what mph model is it.

its under the plastic sidecovers

should be a decal that says 20, 25 or 30

maybe going to a 12:12 Delorto carb would help mph

12:12 carb and 51 mainjet would be the 30mph set up

also, the chrome muffler is 30mph

Get a circuit pipe a 13 mm sha carb and pedal up hills. Enjoy Vespas are wonderful under appreciated bikes.

Joshua Bagwell /

Not seeing a sticker or decal. Is there a way to find out with the vin?

How much do you weigh?

-To tackle hills a variator would be a big help-you need donor parts from a bravo or grande.-100mm rear vario pulley would be nice for hills.

-13.13 carb,drilled intake, a 43mm kit, and a decent pipe would do wonders

If you wanted to keep a stockish sound/appearence then a newer style piston/cylinder w/ the dykes style rings or at least sand down the head a bit for higher compression,12.12, a sito city, variate.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account