Hpi blues

Adam Metterville /

So I have a puch hpi. I first put it on my hobbit with adaptor, fired up fine and ran ok but the timing was always off according to a timing light. It would run or a few seconds and then die.

Recently put it on my e50 and it does the same thing. Will fire over for a few seconds and die. I did have enough time to check it with a timing light and now it's right where I want to be. Right before it dies the timing jumps.

I thought it was the box, just installed a fresh one and no luck. I bought this used, what's else could it be?

I have also tried swapping coils.

Re: Hpi blues

I had that same problem and it was a bad box. you could also not have it wired/timed properly. how do you have the timing set and wired?

Adam Metterville /

The wires are buttoned up nice, ground wires is grounded to the ht cool mount.

My only thought is te pickup might be cooked. When I got it, it had some rubbings where the magneto was contacting it. It's not worn down a shit ton but could that be the case?

The timing is dead in when it fires up, but after a few seconds it just dies and has no spark. If I wait a while it will get more spark but fire for a second if I'm lucky.

How are you setting the timing?

Adam Metterville /

Finding tdc and at that point setting the fire mark (left market from logo) to the notch just to the right of the center mark, like the diagram from the motomatic blog. I've tried a bunch of variations from that and even tried the stupid way hpi reccomends. Still no dice.

Adam Metterville /

The magneto isnt slipping either.

Hmmmm yeah try a new pick up or ht coil

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account