On the subject of MB5's, premix & reliability?

Hey I'm looking at a really clean MB5 on CL, looks like he's got a kit + other upgrades, removed oil injection.

malossi 70cc kit, homet 70cc pipe, mallosi 21mm phbg with red hi flo air filter

I don't have a car so I have to be a bit of a dick about reliability (I've only had tomos' and a hobbit) should I stick to something stock or have you guys had good luck with the MB5?

how is it for repairs? Hobbit was very reliable but was a bitch when it needed anything, cleaning the carb was an afternoon, same for the MB5?

any advice appreciated, thanks!

Re: On the subject of MB5's, premix & reliability?

sorry, I realize this kinda belongs in general discussion :D

briny briny /

That MB5 has been for sale for a very long time. As in very long. Look at it very carefully. Not sayin' it couldn't be a good bike, but just check it out thoroughly.

briny briny /

Oh yeah, as for the reliabilty- it's a Honda so that says good things about reliabilty. As for premix versus oil injection- as long as the engine gets the oil it needs, you're good. The oil pumps on MB5's are reliable and shouldn't give you any trouble if maintained. Premix always works if your ratio is right and you remember to do it. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Oh really? yeah the seller didn't seem too phased that it was gonna take me a week to be able come look at it, I'd think a bike like that at the price would go fast...

maybe i should just stay stock, i'd like to think I could always have time to do an accurate pre-mix but more often then not i end up mixing at the pump, bad news.

thanks!

I bought a stock mostly original MB5 not too long ago. If its the same bike I'm thinking of it looks very nice and well cared for.

I think most MB5's that fetch a lot of money are in all original condition. Thats where the value is at. People love original and they will pay dearly for it.

Having said that if its Ryans bike...He has all the original engine and exhaust pieces not too mention a host of original documents. Basically, a super clean bike that can be made original or aftermarket.... Pretty ideal for me. I would have jumped on it, but I already have a bike and a car and I couldn't pull the trigger on something over a 1K.

Echo on what Briny said...."its a honda" My MB5 has been very predictable and reliable, but its also stock. I have no direct experience with aftermarket parts.

Ryans bike(if its his) gives you a lot of options. You could convert and sell the used parts or maybe the entire setup in a flash on this forum.

My premix is removed. Previous owner rebuilt entire engine at 2200miles because he was extremely thorough and enjoyed this type of work.

Its just something to go wrong. That kind of failure is detrimental to a two stroke. Any time I can eliminate a potential failure, I will.

Premix isn't that bad. The last time I put gas in mine I thought it was low...it barely took a gallon..Just keep a 3-6oz premix bottle with you in case...I use one I found at Autozone. Just look for a level/measurement indicator on the side. I usually have a backpack on anyway...so its not a hassle.

They also make SS fuel containers that look like a cylinder and hold a liter or so of fuel. Back up premix and peace of mind.

Premix will only be an issue if you do a lot of long trips...more than 80-90 miles a day.

Good luck. I think the MB5 is great. I think its not as fast as most people think it maybe, but very reliable.

Have you ridden one??

briny briny /

Yeah, if it's the one with the headlight x'ed out with electrical tape, no gauges, white grips and no tailight, it's been fo sale fo a while. Does have some cool parts on it though..

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account