Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Tracy Meade /

Hey guys,

After being here a while, as many have been, we see a lot of the same questions that seem to come from a place of general misdirection or lack of understanding about where to start when upgrading a bike. Perhaps this may act as a general place to start, because I'm bored and maybe some of you noobs need direction. Where to begin?

many people come on here with no real direction and ask questions like "is this pipe better than this pipe?" or does a "high comp head make me faster?"

Basically, you're just approaching the entire thing from the wrong direction. You need to get a better understanding of what makes bikes go and what you are trying to achieve, then you can decide how your bike should be modified or if you should use different parts.

Step one: read. Get a general understanding of how a bike works, then most of your questions will seem obvious.

Step two: what do you want? Most of you want more speed or accelleration. so what makes speed? It's basically a function of power and gearing. Increasing power makes for a faster bike, and then you can use gearing to alter how that power is used.

At the most basic level, you want to determine what your speed goals are, and how you plan to get there. For the sake of this tutorial, let's assume we have an e50 that we want to hit 50. There are two basic approaches, a high rpm bike with short gearing or a lower rpm bike with taller gearing or somewhere in between. A high rpm bike will likeley be the faster of the two If mostly equal because Rpms generally produce a higher overall level of power, but a lower rpm bike may be more pleasant to ride fast. For this example, I will choose a lower-mid rpm build as opposed to a screamer.

Step three: make a plan. Because I want a lower rpm bike amd this is a one speed, I will likely want to use a 70cc kit. the 70 kit will give me better all around power to work with which is important for my one speed. I could go 80, but for the work involved an my modest goal of 50, it is unnecessary. So fuck it, I choose a mk65 because they arent fancy and have a basic port design and flow well for low Rpms. I determine I'll probably need 18x45 gearing to hit 50 by 10k Rpms, and I'll use a good all around pipe to pull that gearing from relatively low like a proma or estoril. At 10k I'll probably be ok with a stock crank, and a 19 del will probably be satisfactory, but anything under a 24 mikuni is probably a fine choice. A 70cc head is something I like to use because it

has a much better design than stock but you might get away without it if you are a cheapskate. Notice I didn't say anything about a cdi. Fuck a cdi.

Step 4: setup. For this simple build I wouldn't do anything to drastic, probably split the Case to port match, measure some gaps (see proper engine assembly) and throw it together and TUNE( see tuning). From experience this setup should hit close to 50 if properly set up. From here, I would port the exhaust to taste if I want more speed. Viola! A kinda fast bike!

I am aware that there is more to the more advanced builds. This is merely an exercise to explain that it isn't so much as one piece is better or worth it or etc, but that you have certain parts at your disposal that you may choose to utilize or not to. The question is, what are you trying to achieve, and do you understand how tuning, modifying, or using different parts helps you reach your goal? Because this is where to start.

Feel free to add

Or critique as long as you realize this isn't supposed to be an all inclusive guide. Hope that helps someone get started.

Tldr

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

I have just been

SP00N FED

See ya guys, finding a puch to build :!

keep bumping this

too long, did read!

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

too long. didnt read.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

zzzz ^ shush

I know what it means.

I liked the post

if the forum had stickies.....

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

This is cool and all, but if people just looked at the wiki first they wouldn't have so many questions.

-Aron

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Tracy Meade /

Tommy and Kozanatos are full of insight; I see. Move along riff raff.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Tracy Meade /

It's true, we would like people to use the wiki, that has been what we suggest since I have frequented the site 5 years ago. But reality says they don't. If only people stopped littering we wouldn't have to clean up the beach. But an ad campaign doesn't clean shit. I'm trying to be helpful here.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Mike Lyions /

"At 10k I'll probably be ok with a stock crank"

Be careful with that one. If your going to split the case anyway, just as well get a piece of mind with a good performance crank.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Tracy Meade /

I've done years of 10k on multiple different stock cranks. My money says it's fine. If anyone disagrees that is fine. This is my opinion.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Don't get me wrong I think that this is great...But that being said, just like the wiki I don't think any of the noobs are going to read it. If this site really wants to cut down on the useless threads they need to make it so when you register you have to read a guide and then take a quiz afterwards to prove you read it or something of the sort.

It's a good effort but I'm afraid people like us that have been here for a while are the only ones reading it.

-Aron

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Tracy Meade /

Fair enough. It's a boredom nights effort. I'm not trying to change the world here.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Hey if it helps at all I enjoyed reading it! Too bad I don't have an E50....

-Aron

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Ed - Dead Possums /

Let's add:

Timing before jetting.

If you arent sparking properly, your mixture isnt buring properly, so you cant jet properly.

Get a light, they're like $20!

17-18 degrees.

This doesn't mean set it at full advance, like many people seem to think.

And get a temp sensor. If you're running at full advance, chances are you're running too hot... +400 degrees F.

Check for air leaks. Fix them before you try to jet. Spray carb cleaner specifically in each spot where two parts go together. If the rpms change you have a leak.

Jetting:

Read the wiki. Figure it out. If you can't jet you shouldn't ride. You don't learn anything by asking for the answer of what jet you need. Use the "spreadsheet" as a starting point. Learn from there.

I say get a needle bearing crank no matter what. Piece of mind.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

I've been pushing WOT downhills @9500+ rpm for a year now on a stock crank. For what it's worth, your statement makes me feel a little safer about that. I remember someone on here recommending another MA member that would put roller bearings in a stock crank for cheap. I'm sure rolling down a hill with a stock cylinder is much easier on the crank bushings than a 70cc kit forcing a bike up to 50mph and maintaining on flat ground. So, it works for me. If I was building a kit, I think I'd at least have that roller conrod pressed in.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I'm in agreement with most of your tutorial, except I never have any problems, at all, with hitting mid 50s with a Bing 14. And fairly quick. Don't know what all the bother is with big carbs, except you loose bottom end & gas mileage.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

So I got a puch maxi and I wanna go fast, what pipe should I get?

Haha just kidding, good little article up there! If only people would do a little poking around the site before they ask stupid questions, it not gonna happen though, people seem to think their first moped is the first moped in the entire world.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

Pipe is easy. I am still struggling over what grips to get.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Shane Antisocialite /

At 10k you definitely will not be ok with a stock crank. It's not a matter of if, but when.. and depending on how it decides to blow up it can ruin a whole lot more than just itself. If you haven't killed one spinning your motor that fast for an extended period of time you are lucky.

Saying fuck a CDI is kind of a bold statement as well, there will always be more power and stability in an electronic ignition... though for a mild 50mph bike it is less of a big deal.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Overpriced Parts /

When I wasted a stock crank I was spinning about 9,200-9,300 rpm for about 2-3 minutes @ WOT.

My bike was running great before the fail.

I wonder why your engine runs exceptional just right before the fail.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Tracy Meade /

Hey chimey chimers. Already said that the points of my specific logic are not the issue here. But if you must.

- I don't think it is bold to say that a cdi is more trouble than it is worth on this build and most builds.

- Sorry your stock one failed. Shit happens. I don't think it is more prone to failure than an aftermarket crank on this setup. I've seen more needle bearing failures as well as Conrod failures and crank arm failures on aftermarket stuff. I've put stock cranks through way more abuse. My opinion is that it is a fluke that yours failed so quickly at that speed or you did it wrong.

DISAGREERS GONNA DISAGREE.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

If you are going with a 65cc kit, don't use a 70cc head. That would lower the compression. The head should be smaller or equal to the cylinder. The reason is because when it ignites, it will be pushing down on the piston, but if the head is wider, some of the explosion will hit a flat surface. It's hard to explain without a diagram but I cant find it.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

<3 this thread. Keep it going for us noobs.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Pablo Puchasso /

Tracy Meade Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's true, we would like people to use the wiki,

> that has been what we suggest since I have

> frequented the site 5 years ago. But reality says

> they don't.

They also don't use the "search" button to find helpful posts (such as this one) unfortunately.

How you been Tracy? Come check out my garage. We can build your noob bike.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Salsa Salsa /

Go eat some boogers

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

World piece!

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Ed - Dead Possums /

BUMPin'

Just to add a point that was discussed earlier, but seems to be a major problem people have. Timing BEFORE jetting. I see so many posts where they list all their setup and have no idea what its timed at.

Timing before jetting.

If you arent sparking properly, your mixture isnt buring properly, so you cant jet properly.

Get a light, they're like $20!

17-18 degrees.

This doesn't mean set it at full advance, like many people seem to think.

And get a temp sensor. If you're running at full advance, chances are you're running too hot... +400 degrees F.

Check for air leaks. Fix them before you try to jet. Spray carb cleaner specifically in each spot where two parts go together. If the rpms change you have a leak.

Jetting:

Read the wiki. Figure it out. If you can't jet you shouldn't ride. You don't learn anything by asking for the answer of what jet you need. Use the "spreadsheet" as a starting point. Learn from there.

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Josh Koelker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you are going with a 65cc kit, don't use a 70cc

> head. That would lower the compression. The head

> should be smaller or equal to the cylinder. The

> reason is because when it ignites, it will be

> pushing down on the piston, but if the head is

> wider, some of the explosion will hit a flat

> surface. It's hard to explain without a diagram

> but I cant find it.

lol! 19y/o has yet to realize pressure is isotropic. welcome to the real world, kid!

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

I wanted to what Edward said about timing before jetting. There is another crucial step that can have you running in circles.

Always, always set your point gap FIRST. It doesn't seem that important but it takes about one minute to do. Also if you have points that aren't opening you will have no spark.

A second thing is checking for air leaks.

Set point gap to factory spec

Set timing

Check for air leaks

start tuning.

For the case of whether CDI is worth it I would argue that if your first bike was a V1 like myself that NO it is NOT worth it. I still do not run CDI because I have heard nothing but bad things about it.

that's all for now

-Aron

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

I thought it was enlightening. I don't want a speed rocket moped right now. I want a comfortable cruiser with style. Im 6'-2'' and i want to be able to strech out and still kinda keep up to the pack..

Re: Noob guide to building a bike. HOt tiPz inside!

Bolt-on Bright /

Dose anybody know what happund to the Batavus kits?

i searched "NOOB" and found this gem! (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account