103 stock variator, rubber under one weight, wtf?

under one of the two actuator arms / weights is a piece of rubber delaying my variation. is there supposed to be one under the other arm, or is this a customization by the previous owner? i'll try to get a pic posted.

Re: 103 stock variator, rubber under one weight, wtf?

one with rubber, one without...

2012-06-22_11-18-45_209.jpg
2012-06-22_11-18-59_367.jpg

Good question.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

The parts manual says that there 2 of them. It's called a "Brake devise for weights".

There should be rubber under each one. Someone else has been in there.

thanks for the info! it's good to know the starting point. this gives me some ideas...

mine has none. look like they would prevent full variation. or to the little rockers just sit on them when they're not rocking? un-variated.

it slows the variation, which i don't mind, but it seems to prevent full variation as well. the part of the arm that touches the rubber has a u-shaped cross section instead of o-shaped, so it stops when the flat part hits the rubber.

so i get to decide if i want to remove it for full variation, or cut it in half and make both sides even. or something else.

let us know if you take it out if you get more top end...interesting...

i've been told it will fully variate with the dampers in. i'll gps before and with each different set up i try. (i'm not planning on grinding the weights lighter yet, btw.) it might take me a week or two before i get time for this though.

my guess is it'll only variate sooner. at the very least, it'll balance the variator.

i cut the remaining damper in half so i have half under each side. variation doesn't feel much different, but it definitely solved a vibration that was hindering my top speed (and maybe variates a hair farther, maybe not). +3 to 4 mph in this case. gps & speedo aren't working, so it's a guess. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account