Puch tuning newbie questions

I have a Puch maxi with a 60cc eurocylinder kit. I put on a techno boss pipe and a 15mm Bing. I did the case matching also. Moped starts easy and runs great at 3/4 to WO throttle. Can't seem to get the low speed and idle to work with this setup. I've tried all the needle positions on the carb. I have not put any air filter on it yet.

Should I get a better carb for tuning? A delorto perhaps? Any reccomendations for carb and intake for this project? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Mike

Re: Puch tuning newbie questions

Probably Fred /

You got to jet your carb. Rarely does a carb work with the jet it comes with. You need a jet range mid 70s to low 80s if you got a real bing carb with a. 217 atomizer.

You can't just slap a kit on and expect it to run good and not seize.

What is your setup.

Timing before jetting . What is your timing set at?

Crank stock bushed or aftermarket needle bearing crank?

Clutch stock or tuned?

Stock gearing 16x45 or what?

What is your head temp ?

Mike Singer /

Ken,

I figured the jetting was good. The jet is just hi speed right and the metering pin controls the rest? I played with some differend jets and settled on a 72 for the 15mm bing I have installed. It is a real bing, not sure what size atomizer. Timing was set to stock. Crank, clutch and gearing all stock. No idea what the head temp is. I have ridden it to work a couple times, maybe have 50 miles on the kit. I have been babying, riding half throttle about 25-30mph. I ran it up to 40 once, but it sounds like it is really red lining at that speed.

-Thnsk,

Mike

Probably Fred /

Ya it's a time bomb like I thought.

If you held floored for several minutes it would seize, lock up or grenade the crank out of the case.

So here is what you need to do

Time correctly ( gap points to 16-18 thousands, find top dead center and time with a light 16-17 degrees before top dead center. If you run cool then you can add timing.

Either rebuild your engine with a needle bearing crank (best thing to do) or up gear to 17x40 and loose your hi rpm pipe and get a lower rpm pipe like a circuit or Estroil.

Tune your clutch with thick springs or get a aftermarket one with thick springs.

Make sure your running a 15mm intake and 217 atomizer that way a 76-82 jet

will work with a metal metal mesh filter.

Absolute must nowadays get a trail tech head temp gauge and keep it under 400 degrees

Break in at normal moped speeds for 300 mi

Mike Singer /

Ken,

sounds like you done this once or twice. I have done dozens of rebuilds of stock puchs, but this is my first attempt at performance upgrades. I am going to work on the gearing you suggested to get my revs under control and I don't want to take the motor apart again. I'll get another pipe for it also. Would the atomizer tube be marked? I only have a 14mm intake, I'll try boring it out or get a 15mm. I looked up the temp gauge, is that the $40 digital guage with a sensor you place between the spark plug and head?

Tx, Mike

Probably Fred /

Ya and ya both you can get on treats

Order a clutch puller and kickstart springs

Mike Singer /

I have a puller, springs I assume are for my clutch and from Treats? My other parts are on the way.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account