Best thick fiber gasket material? (non crushable)

I sometimes need thick gasket material which doesn't crush much, similar to the thick 1mm e50 stock base gaskets. Is it available anywhere?

Where can I buy that type of fiber sheet to cut my own gaskets?

The Oreileys gasket material is just too crushable and absorbs gas...

Re: Best thick fiber gasket material? (non crushable)

I get some rolls similar to the base gaskets treats sells in 1, 1.5, 2mm at advanced.

I hate cutting bases.

GET REALIZED! BE HERE NOW! /

IT'S ADVANCE; NO D!!!

Multiple people on here use Felpro gasket material ( i forget the type but rickems uses it) and those trickmetric hobbit reed gasket are made of it

I found some fiber material at a farmer / hardware store

I have used it, its about as thick as other material, just not high quality.

I have some Victor Reinz gasket material in various thickness that I got at the car parts place - basically I asked Gilles if he could just cut me a piece of each size he had. Dont know which is which on the collection.

McMaster-Carr also sells variety packs of gasket material.

My all time fav....any gasket paper, per preferred thickness, coat with an ultra thin layer ON EACH SIDE of ULTRA BLACK....and let cure overnight....BEST GASKET EVER!!!!

Found the name of the stuff jobt, you should love me

"felpro karropak .030"

I think they have other thicknesses besides .030.....

but that is what came up when I checked my internet history!

boom, done.

As for cutting base gaskets.

Use a good existing gasket, trace it onto paperboard ( cereal box ) and then you have a template. somebody sent me a bunch of paperboard templates for my hobbit so all I got to do is trace and cut <3

//endthread (edited)

karopak and anything else fiber is going to squish some.

the heaviest stuff i have is about .060 and crushes to about .050, i think it was called 'high temp gasket' at the auto parts store. they should have about 4 or 5 types at any good auto store, just feel them and see what is the heaviest?

if you need something really invincible the stuff we use for high pressure flanges at work is called 'garlock' and its very similar to flooring lineoleum, its completely huge and indestructable.

So get 2 koteks and a metal spacer gasket. 3 possible leaks, but itll do the job?

Brad William /

#2499 fel-pro pro-ramic

Get it at lots of auto parts places like NAPA etc.

About 1.5 mm thick. Probably crush to about 1.2 or 1.3. Ceramic fiber coating both sides of a perforated metal sheet. The perf metal core makes it practically indestructible once it's in there and bolted down. Extreme heat tolerance. Makes really nice little exhaust gaskets too.

Not as easy to cut as non-reinforced gasket, but worth the effort. I use steel hollow punches with a heavy aluminum plate backing up the gasket. Works great. (edited)

Brad William /

This turned out to be a perfect tool for cutting the holes larger than my set of hollow punches. Such as the large hole for the base gasket....

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,3050469,3050469 (edited)

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I'd be looking for phenolic sheet. There's some on ebay right now. Prolly comes in a thickness different than what may be available on ebay. It won't sqush!

Looks like there's some good deals on it right now. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account