Strange PHBG idling

Andy Pabstalaniec /

Got a Peugeot 103 with a 16mm phbg on it. Lately it's been idling kind of funny. I've put a lot of miles on this build and am to the point where I'm troubleshooting different issues that have cropped up along the way.

The idle isn't consistent. When you come to a stop it will idle for a second then you'll start to bog down, but it's not because of the idle screw, because if you twist the throttle 1/8th it'll gas up the carb again and the idle will come back for about 15-20 seconds, then it will start to bog down again.

It's difficult to fuck with the air screw and idle screws because of this inconsistency. My first thought was it could be a float issue, like the bowl is being sucked dry at idle until you open the throttle a bit, which rushes the bowl with gas again.

Could just be 'it's a moped.' :) I'm pretty used to the steady 1000rpm purr of my honda motorcycles at this point

Re: Strange PHBG idling

maybe loading up due to rich idle setting (jet ,slide cut away, mix screw) post all carb stats (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

Yep Idle jet. Prolly go lower in size

Andy I was having the same problem. I didn't know any better and went from a 45 idle to a 50. Well duh that made it worse so I dropped it to a 40 and viola problem solved

go search for "phbg atomizer"

therein lies you issue

ian van opijnen /

definitely idle jet. AU or AN atomizer ?

Andy Pabstalaniec /

So the Choke/Starter is 60m, Idle/Pilot is 55, Atomizer is 262AU (2stroke one), Main is 88.

Guess I should try picking up a 50 or 45 idle jet next time I'm at treats?

Overpriced Parts /

Get a # 42 and # 48 too do you have a range of idle jets

Is the atomizer bushing installed in the correct orientation?

You should also check that your needle valve isn't leaking, just clean off the float needle tip, and clean out the needle seat.

Also, make sure that you have good consistent fuel flow from the petcock.

Fuel starving, and flooding are both issues that can give you a false reading when tuning a carb.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account