Peugeot SHA/Stock Variator barely hitting pipe

I just kitted my Peugeot 103 with a pipe and have the stock variator and a SHA carb. Right now when I am running lean I can hit the powerband of the pipe and go the top speed but it barely gets there. If I up jet it seems to not be able to get to the powerband of the pipe and it will stay at around 30.

Is this a problem with the SHA carb or the stock variator?

Re: Peugeot SHA/Stock Variator barely hitting pipe

kitted...with a pipe? watcha talkin bout. a kit is changing out the cylinder...is that what you've done? what kinda pipe are you using? need more info.

i have a 103 with the sha 15.15...so far, i'm having trouble getting it up hills and flat out it will only do 32mph.

i worked on the stock variator mods to get better hill climbing.

do you have a bigger intake?, have you removed some of the screens from the air filter or better yet take off the air filter completely and see how it rides. the stock exhaust pipe derestricted is actually not bad...just sayin'

Try removing the weights from the variator and see what it does/if it still variates fully. If not, add a couple washers or a nut to each variator arm until it does. Then you will blast.

ya can't remove the weights on a stock variator w/o replacing them with something...some folks use 1/4 in nuts, some use m/8 nuts, some just shave down the weight on the stock arms but then you can't go back...

Sorry I did not think the kit would matter.

I have this https://www.treatland.tv/peugeot-DR-kit-p/peugeot-dr-kit.htm

With a ninja g3

I am thinking it is the variator because it looks like it is completely variated at around 20-25 mph right around where I was having trouble getting above to hit the pipe.

I have the stock variator so I could change out the weights with nuts, but I was thinking of getting a new variator anyway.

I have a 15mm intake with a 16mm SHA

from what i know...and that's not much...you should be rippin'... i'd drop some weight off the variator try the nut's as a replacement...you won't engage the variator until the revs go up so by then you you may hit the pipe's sweet spot...but...i don't know much

Greg.... Replacing the vario weights will help you. its a cheap and easy mod you should try before you invest in a new vario. Did u replace the reed block and valve? If not that should be your next move. You wont get the most out of your pipe or carb untill you do. and like matt said - get rid of the screens on your sha.

Did you pull the restrictor out of the pipe?

I did replace the reed block and valve, took the screens out of the carb and removed the restrictor from the pipe.

I will remove some of the weight from the variator and let you know how it goes!

Ignition timing?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account