Anyone ever thought of... (za50 related)

installing a miniature 12vdc or A/C oil pump and oil filter on a ZA transmission?

There's so much clutch shit and soot in the transmission when you go to change it after running it hard... It can't be good for the transcover bearings or any of them for that matter...

Not to mention it would be bitchin... alot (edited)

Re: Anyone ever thought of... (za50 related)

oil cooler!

Probably Fred /

I use 0-20w synthetic oil and it seems to last long between changes

Deadped Ryan /

Ken, it doesn't matter if youre running royal purple or Mapco brand if your oil is full of shit. Tbh, doesn't really matter whether you're running synthetic, because it's full of crap before even Dino oil is done.

Nick - might cool a little but the idea is filtration here... Mmmm oil coolers

Also, btw, we're talking about balls to the walls za's, not your stock variety or even a pipe and carb. Big tuned kits, higher rpm shifts and engines that can kick into first when you gas em'

Yep, my gila'd ZA would have clutch sludge in the bottom after running it for a week or so as my daily rider. Different fluid may keep the clutches from wearing so quickly, but a filter would be cool. I usually just ended up pulling the cover off and flushing everything with brake cleaner before refilling.

Setting up a pump and filter, etc would be too much work for the benefit though IMO.

Probably Fred /

No benefit of performance but do it and let me know how it works and ya synthetic with crap in it is way better protecting then type f with crap in it

Deadped Ryan /

I'm not talking about performance... It'll perform just fine with or without junk in the oil - for how long though is the question. I've gone through too many tranny cover case bearings... they last like 2000mi on kitted enignes and then start feeling crappy so I replace them.

I thought for the recirculation injection point you could put it right in the middle of the clutch bell bearing (larger one) and maybe even the smaller one too (through the front of the cover). Tap an npt hole in the cover, use a short npt to swage fitting and couple that to the outlet on the pump and have the pump draw from the bottom of the cover or case so your now non-splash lubricated, but pump lubricated tranny cover bearings always have plenty of fresh filtered oil going to them.

I think I'm going to order an npt tap and some fittings to start mocking this up...

@ jake - not sure it's worth it either. Would certainly be interesting though. If it makes a drastic difference in oil cleanliness I might do it to another one of my kitted za's... Have any dudes from holland done this? (edited)

Not that I've seen, they haven't.

I know the oiling port in the end of the crank tends to clog with clutch goop...

Deadped Ryan /

That's so awesome...

Ok. I'm ordering the fittings right now. I've got a spare trans cover, so I'm doing it...

It's gonna be a while though. Probably up to a week before I'm even back in town.

i'm doing the sachs thing using a pressure/vacuum operated fuel pump from an outboard.

it has a built in filter (fuel filter) and doesn't take power to run.

my za doesn't get that dirty, but i'm not putting crazy power through it either, i'm more concerned with cooling for the sachs.

one of those huge fuel filters off of a car might work pretty well. you'll need surface area to keep your pressure low with the thicker fluid.

Deadped Ryan /

My za's are always nasty and goopy inside... so I think it might help.

I'm also going to be trying to get an 80 athena reed cylinder "reliable" on sachs... maybe it would be put to better use on that with a cooler.

Maybe I'll just order enough fittings for both!

Make sure ya post here or somewhere with any problems or successes! We'd be anxious to hear Mr. Motzing! I'll be sure to do the same.

ℊRashid 7☀☥ /

Maybe a pulse operated fuel pump will do? I used these for fuel pumps on miini bikes and they pump really well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account