Vat to do? Chopping up scooter motor for moped abortion

I've got 2 projects I wanted to do that involves chopping up this junked Zuma motor I have here, and making it the powerplant for a moped, but I'm really torn on which would be more fun to build and ride....

Project 1: "Zerbi"

Chop the Zuma tranny up to shorten it a bunch, then mount it derbi style with a sprocket running off the rear axle shaft to a sprocket on the rear wheel. Probably use a hobbit frame which I'd add a swingarm with pedals, and use these weird 16in gizmo mags. Advantage in doing this is that I can adjust gearing easily with sprockets. Can't do this as easily with project 2 (see below)

Project 2: no name yet...

Hobbit frame with Aprilia Scarabeo rims and motor, but lengthen the rear scarabeo trans swingarm and add a pedal shaft in the swingarm hobbit style.

I'd have to add a second swingarm and shock on the right side for added support, which would just help keep it all solid.

They are both stupid and fun, and id like to do both..but only have one motor to chop up and one extra hobbit frame....

Vat to dooooooooo? (edited)

Re: What to do? Chopping up scooter motor for moped abortion

I am doing something similar to project 2 with a Italjet Torpedo running gear but I am not worrying about the pedals and will stick with monoshock. I was going to build a hot 50 Peugeot but I paid $70 for this rig so it will be cheaper. Its the Morini based engine 41mm bore but I could cobble Minarelli scooter cylinders to it. The rear drive gears have a 14:1 ratio. What are your Zuma and Scarabeo rear drives ratios Jay?

Re: Vat to do? Chopping up scooter motor for moped abortion

Same....

The problem is that if you want to keep the stock crank with the minarellis you're limited to about 50ish unless you upgear... They fly apart at about 10k...the morini cranks are worse so I've heard...

i got most of a tgb motor, gonna do something like this. it's pretty much got a mykitech case buried in it. the tgb had a "martin racing performance" pipe. it went almost 50, weighed like 210, and you could ride it UP some stairs.

that motor needs to be in something cool.

Yes the Morini crank, rod in particular is whimpy. There are some aftermarket options

I wish I had a Zuma engine. I'd probably do #1. You get more kit availability and it could have a more traditional moped look. Reliability would be top notch

You could also chop off the back half of the engine case/swingarm and mount the engine on a Motobecane or other single-variated moped. Maybe you could even use the stock pivot point.

Of course you'd eliminate a good portion of your gearing by ditching the dual variaton.

option 1 is something i've wanted to do for awhile, all you would need is a tig welder and a shorter belt. you could even get really tricky and do something with a sprum (sprocket mounted on a drum brake) which would probably stop you fast enough to jerk your teeth out. I'd probably start looking for a kiddie dirt bike for frame and parts, then adapt that to some nice 17" wheels and jack it up to match.

i hate hate hate the way 'subframe' bikes like hondas, vespas, scooters, etc ride. Even peugeots (although the geometry is way better) are kinda sloppy in the rear and feel a little 'back heavy' so that would be my primary motivation for going derbi style. Sprockets would be nice too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account