First CDI

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

Looking for recommendations on a CDI setup from treats. This is my first, so I don't want any funny business (at least any more than usual).

Set up:

70cc airsal

rito race crank

15mm drilled bing

the rest you can see.

My condenser went bad and I am looking to try something new. I think the shitty aftermarket points are an issue as well. They are not completely lined up center. About 1.5mm off center when closed. This is my daily driver and I am looking for some good throttle response and low end power.

I have 350 to spend. Let me know your thoughts.

Re: First CDI

Powerdynamo or the mini HPI

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

I was looking at the powerdynamo. The reviews on treats are not many. would like to hear some more info/talk (not from the dynamo website either)

Probably Fred /

Yep you need a ignition that has a curve otherwise you will run hot or have to run reduced timing that makes reduced power always.

What you want is to have like 18-20 degrees btd timing at your take off /low end and curve to 14-15 degrees btd at topend so you will run cool with no seize. Mini rotor Hpi can do that I hear

I've ridden with a guy who had the Power Dynamo CDI on his E50 Polini...the lights are INCREDIBLY bright. He had been using it for over two years at that point.

I've also seen the mini rotor HPI in action on another friend's E50 Polini. The bike is very fast and I am not kidding - the throttle response is like a dirtbike. Unbelievable!

If I had a Puch, I'd get either one of those.

Hpi.

Ed - Dead Possums /

Nice bike! Very clean! Do you ride it??

I've been wanting to get the Powerdynamo. I've heard good things(not from anyone that actually has it though), but idk if it has the variable timing that Ken is talking about. So makes me want to go with the HPI.

Too bad you took the pedals off, unless you live somewhere that it doesn't matter...

hpi mini rotor it has a 1yr warranty. power dynamo has none i know of.

only problem is the hpi only has 1 light wire that you have to run all your accessories off of. horn and all lights. it puts out 55watts to do the job so it should be plenty.

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

Edward Manhart Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nice bike! Very clean! Do you ride it??

>

> I've been wanting to get the Powerdynamo. I've

> heard good things(not from anyone that actually

> has it though), but idk if it has the variable

> timing that Ken is talking about. So makes me want

> to go with the HPI.

>

> Too bad you took the pedals off, unless you live

> somewhere that it doesn't matter...

of course I ride it. Everyday until my condenser went bad. Its been sitting for a few days trying to decide what to do with the ignition system. Keep it points and replace the condenser or just go all in on a CDI/HPI

Ed - Dead Possums /

Personally I run the Bosch points setup on all my mopeds. It's the best way to go. Get them when they are in stock! Learn how they work(if you don't already). You're not running a race setup that those CDIs are made for. Not that they wouldn't work great, but not really necessary. Upgrade your light coil to 12v, and headlight and LED taillamp. ....looks like you might have already done that.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account