Side covers on/off? Opinions

Jonny Appleseed /

Do you guys think running with side covers off, mainly just on the side of the intake, has any significant effect to performance by allowing more air to contact the air filter? Also, what about intakes that angle out?

Personally, it seems to me that a side cover over the air cleaner wouldn't serve as a restriction because there's more then adequate space for air to sneak in, and the bike will only take as much as the carb can suck in anyway..

what do you guys think? I see a lot of kitted bikes with no side covers/intakes angled outward. No covers just for show, or does it actually serve a functional purpose?

Re: Side covers on/off? Opinions

Overpriced Parts /

Many tomos people remove their plastics because there is so much on some models but on my puchs I leave my covers on.

Many mopeds, tomos or puch for example have an airbox with a tube that actually draws intake are from under the frame. The side covers basically just cover all that untidy wiring, and add a little rain protection.

Jonny Appleseed /

assuming you have an after-market air filter, like a K & N, UNI etc.

When you put them on, the bike breaks...and you have to take them off again to adjust the carb or whatever.

Zeke Rigg /

some bikes have carbs that don't fit under the side covers and therefore covers get removed.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

I always ditch them. They're just in the way of whenever you want to tweak something. If you paint or powder coat your bike and get it looking nice you'll have these shitty looking 30 year old plastic covers on your nice looking machine.

Metal Moby covers aren't too bad since you can clean them up/paint them, but starting adding in clutch pulleys, carbs and other things and they'll be in the way as well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account