drilling iron...

anybody drill/tap new intake holes in a hero kit? about to do it, feel pretty capable. still like to hear about experiences.

Re: drilling iron...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

i drilled and tapped some stud holes in a stock garelli cast iron cylinder, super easy, just use some oil on the bit. i used wd-40. also used a center punch so the bit doesn't walk on ya. piece o cake.

The hero kit has a lot of meat, but I don't see why you would want more holes in it. You need a custom intake either way.

When you do it, just use a drill press so that you have straight holes and make sure that you lube the bit up well with some cutting oil. Another thing that you'll have to watch out for is the place where the iron and aluminum connect. That'll make your drill walk a little. Not that it should be too big of a problem with a drill press.

Center punch the middle of the hole. Use a small drill bit, then work up to the size you want.

Did you make the intake bigger that you had to relocate the left side hole? That thing F's the intake port on those kits so bad.

i plan to snap a bolt covered in jb weld off in that hole and imagine it was never there...

Post a pic when your done I'd like to see the intake this beast should have come with.

it can't be opened up that much on the inside top to bottom, but the rings never go thru it, so i could make it really wide....right?

You can't really open it from side to side, unless you want to start running reeds. The piston skirt is really narrow and that limits how wide the intake can go on a piston port. On my cylinder, it's already a little too wide. You either need a wider piston skirt or a reed valve. The first option isn't really worth it, but I would like to see the second option.

Dirty Dave Stone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You can't really open it from side to side, unless

> you want to start running reeds. The piston skirt

> is really narrow and that limits how wide the

> intake can go on a piston port. On my cylinder,

> it's already a little too wide. You either need a

> wider piston skirt or a reed valve. The first

> option isn't really worth it, but I would like to

> see the second option.

no.

you need reeds on 360 intake so the down stroke doesnt just blow charge back out the carb. your piston will stop this no matter the skirt size if you dont have a 3rd eye/transfer

the skirt is probably bigger than you think also. anyway he wants the mating surface of the intake bigger since it is smaller than the intake port window itself due to the kink caused from the left intake bolt. this would improve flow from a bigger carb. the port itself is very limited, try to raise it and you'll compromise the boost ports/ lower it and you end up through the base/skirt (360 intake).

If you really want to improve flow cut the cylinder skirt down a lot like to the base. enlarge the boost ports. make transfer cutouts above the piston pin.

oh and the piston that comes with these things are shit pot metal, i think im going to try a MK 65 one when i kill this one.

gotta a open it a little.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account