Moby Motor spacing issues

Tyler Jaynes /

So I've upgraded to an av10 with a doppler spring and I've noticed after I put my belt on the engine will tilt toward the pulley side. I've also installed new mounts. On the main bolt how should I do the spacing? Should I leave some play for the engine to slide a little to the left during variation? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Moby Motor spacing issues

Sounds like your spring is out of alignment. You don't want your engine to slide or shift at all to one side or the other.

And

Your mounts might be off center also.. (edited)

The offset is different on a AV10 and a AV7. Did you change the left engine mount plate that has the silentbloc for one for a AV10?

All the rest of the hardware for the lower mount is same for AV7 variated and AV10 except this plate on the engine.

https://www.treatland.tv/motobecane-av10-spring-bracket-p/mbk-av10-spring-bracket.htm

Tyler Jaynes /

Hey rebel I have the doppler spring so I didnt need the bottom rubber mount. and TJ my motor doesnt slide at all since I've put spacers in there to prohibit that. It only seems to do it when I intall my molassi belt rather than just a stock one.

You did not tight the top mount with the silentblocs too tight did you because the long bolt should be loose so the motor can swivel without torquing the rubber or they are not going to last very long.

Tyler Jaynes /

Yeah it's loose enough I think I'll just have to play around with spacing again tomorrow

Tyler Jaynes /

So I was playing around again today with the spacing and its spaced right and when I hook up the doppler spring its still fine but when I put the malossi belt on it gets tilted to the side, counterclockwise. If I pull the flywheel towards myself the spring will compress slightly and there seems to be some play in with the head mount spacers like the ones in the link. I'm just curious if those are the problem? Do have much play to begin with? Any ideas?

https://www.treatland.tv/tomahawk-motobecane-head-mount-pivot-spacers-p/tomahawk-mbk-head-spacer.htm

Tyler Jaynes /

anyone? I ordered some new pivot mounts anyway because mine weren't snug with the o-ring doppler head I have.

can i have your old spacers? or tell me end to end measurements?

Those spacers need to be perfectly tight to the head. I just threw away 3 stock heads because the spacers bored out the head mounts so they would not snap in like they should. (edited)

Sometimes the OD of the engine mount bolt at the top is smaller than the ID of the rubber mount. It requires some thin shim stock to keep it from being sloppy.

Earlier bikes have a skinny bush spacer on the right side and a wide bush spacer on the left side, later bikes have wide to both sides. I attach pictures and measurements if you need to fabricate any of those bush spacers.

SkinnySpacer.jpg
WideSpacer.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account