plug chop, what do you think?

Jonny Appleseed /

A55 Airsal

14mm PHVA

80 main jet

UNI filter

bi-turbo

27x22 gearing

Was getting 45 before i kitted, but wanted more torque. Good low end torque now, but poor top end performance. I'm getting only 40mph (gps) on a downward incline. I don't think I'm getting the full RPMS. Checked thoroughly for air leaks, none. Also, I think I'm rich on the idle circuit. Idle has to be set somewhat high for the bike to idle and when I give it throttle hard from a stop, it will bog and nearly stall out. After idling, plugs will come out wet.

Did about a one-mile WOT plug chop run today, i posted a picture below of the results. What do you guys thing? Lean on the main jet, and rich on the idle circuit? (edited)

photo.JPG

Re: plug chop, what do you think?

Jonny Appleseed /

oh an one more stupid thing I forgot to mention, I'm running with my side cover off on the side with the UNI filter (which I never do). Does having the cover on over the UNI do anything to restrict airflow? Perhaps that is why my jetting seems odd. Would it be a good idea to tune the bike with the cover on or does it not really make a notable difference in terms of airflow?

What's your timing set at ? Downjet the idle. Upjet the main , then play with the needle setting .

Jonny Appleseed /

Timing's at stock. I put my side cover on and it actually seemed to make a difference. I noticed there was oil blowing out of the end of my pipe, so Its gotta be rich. I down jetted to a 78 main and the bike seems to be running better all around, higher rpms. I'm going to mess with the needle to work out the kinks on the low end though. Hopefully I'm not too lean on the main circuit

Overpriced Parts /

UNI filters are very restrictive

Get a k&n type filter

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

looks pretty lean to me

Overpriced Parts /

Don't look lean to me

Carlos Spicy Wiener /

Cut the threaded part off so you can see the soot ring. The end of the insulator can lie.

Looks too lean for my preference. I like mine like this:

Neither plug photo shows the mixture band at the base of the insulator. That is what you'll want to look at. The rest of the plug usually won't pick up much color in a mile or two.

I tune by other ways, that's just what the plug ends up looking like. Temp, speed, sound, and acceleration are what I jet off of.

Jonny Appleseed /

I agree that the plug does look a bit lean, but there was oil blowing out of the end of my pipe until i down jetted to a 78. Also, since I down jetted it seems be getting higher rpms and seems to run a bit smoother.

I'm going to pick up a few more plugs today and do another plug chop with the 78 and cut the threads off to get a better look.

The only remaining little glitch is when I give it a lot of throttle from a stop, it bogs hard and nearly stalls. I'm not sure how to diagnose this as an air or fuel problem. I was just going to play with the needle setting until it clears up. (edited)

You need to get some stronger clutch springs on 1st gear so you can slip the clutch to clear out the pipe before the big hit of the powerband comes blasting in.

CLutch springs are definitely nice. On the bog issue, that means either your needle or your main jet is too lean.

Overpriced Parts /

It's a 1 mi plug chop so it looks ok

Your plug Jakep is no way a 1mi plug chop

I rarely care what a plug chop on a auto clutch bike looks like anyway

But you did do it the best way you could. One mile at wot then shut it down

Jonny Appleseed /

Mo Peds Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You need to get some stronger clutch springs on

> 1st gear so you can slip the clutch to clear out

> the pipe before the big hit of the powerband comes

> blasting in.

im not sure what you mean by slip the clutch to clear out the pipe, do you mean just get stronger springs so i get more rpms in 1st then when I hit second, i also hit my powerband for the pipe?

Ken Roff Wrote:

> It's a 1 mi plug chop so it looks ok

> Your plug Jakep is no way a 1mi plug chop

> I rarely care what a plug chop on a auto clutch

> bike looks like anyway

> But you did do it the best way you could. One mile

> at wot then shut it down

I have read a LOT of threads to finally see this! A "Real Plug Chop" Requires the engine to be turned off and NOT turn over while making peak Power. This CANNOT be done correctly with an Auto CLutch Bike. At the end of a SPeed Run you may be better off allowing it to continue to run until you are almost stopped to that Raw Fuel will not color the Plug.

Also as someone said you MUST see the Bottom of the Plug where the Insulator touches the Metal Side of the Plug. I take a Bright LED Light and a Jewlers Glass to see how they look.

The closest I can come to a real Plug Chop is to run the Bike on the Center Stand with the Rear Brake on for a few seconds and then hit the Kill switch while using the Brakes on the rear wheel so that there are only a FEW Rpms to ruin the Color of the Plug!

The Pic of thwe 2nd Plug looks like a good running engine to me

Salsa Salsa /

(Casserollers) ∴ Μ Λ Ι Ζ Σ ∴ Wrote:

> http://content.screencast.com/users/maizediffley/f

> olders/Jing/media/d01d7aa1-9223-441c-841e-1eb2ff3d

> 1faa/2012-07-06_1346.png

Maybe a Bead Blaster might clean that up and then make it a Side Gap Plug "For the Next engine"! Not enough Aluminum left of the FIrst engine to run again! :(

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account