'77 Ciao Project

After a month of trials a tribulations I have the Ciao running decently and all electricals working correctly. I started out trying to run everything stock. Was able to sustain speeds of 24 or 25 miles per hour as long as the wind wasn't in my face. I'm a big dude (235 lbs) and that was just a touch too slow to keep up with asshole Wisconsin drivers. I didn't want to mess with kitting it but wanted to gain a bit of top end without sacrificing low end torque. I ended up with the following setup and today I hit 35 on the flats with no real gain or loss on takeoff. These speeds aren't gps verified but man you could really tell when you hit the pipe at just over 20 miles an hour. A lot more fun to ride.

Stock 50cc Single Speed

Stock Dellorto 12:10 Carb (58 Jet)

Hi Flow Air Filter

Proma Circuit Exhaust

Other than some white wall tires and minor aesthetics I don't know how much more I am going to do to this thing. Other than losing weight any suggestions for gain more out of a mostly stock setup? Any suggestions are welcome.

IMG_1704.JPG

Re: '77 Ciao Project

Bore out the intake, get a 13:13 carb, shave down the head, lighten the clutch shoes.

- Summerai - Corey Livieri /

You should haul that thing up to Green Bay this Monday. Our group is having it's first weekly ride for the summer. Check the info: www.facebook.com/GBmopeds

I will seriously consider the offer. I am not too far away in Manitowoc.

I'm stoked to hear good things about this pipe, I just recieved mine yesterday from treats. Can't wait to see what it can doo.

Also if you don't wanna kit, invest in a variator set up. Improved bottom and top end. I got a variated rear wheel fs.

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b409/bmoneybag/2012-06-14112210.jpg (edited)

Ps, your ciao is freakin mint!!

I liked my Proma alright, it has a few downsides though. It's loud! And it rattles apart, my rear mount broke at the weld, and my clamp bolt stripped. I love the way it hits though.

Are you single speed or variated? single speeders can get a bigger clutch bell and smaller rear pulley. Variated cats get a free vario mod available on the wiki.

Head milling is cheap at a machine shop or free with a file and a steady hand. good for boosting compression for all around gain. If you go more than half the width however, you may want to add another washer to your spark plug.

A bigger rear tire has been known to help a tiny bit. but if you are stock you probably have less than an inch before you are hitting your subframe.

a 13:13: carb is a good idea but almost $100. check out boring your 10:12 carb, if you have access to a drill press. another free mod available in the wiki. Definitely spend the $17 on a Malossi high flow air filer. The $9 Polini one is no good.

I think it us under $10 to get new bearings and cups. loose wheel bearings get loaded with debris. clean em out and reassemble with new cups and balls.

Make sure you have the right amount of oil in your trans case. too little and the gears heat up and squeeze each other. Too much and you are losing power to sloshing around trans oil.

Your speedo is slowing you down! Everyone argues this with me, but I assure you that there is more resistance in there than it is worth to have it.

Especially if the entire system isn't brand new. try this. Free spin your front wheel. then remove your speedo drive unit and try again. see the difference? A trail tech speedo fixes this but they are not cheap. Just run it without the speedo and get a few washers to take up the space on the wheel. You are just full throttle all the time anyway right?

Or you can get a bicycle speedometer (called a bike computer) for $10-$20. More accurate than a mechanical speedometer anyway.

Thanks for the kind words. It would be nice to have this thing variated. That may be a project down the road. Brad, out of curiosity how much are you looking to get for the rear wheel?

Anyone have any experience with putting stronger springs in the clutch to increase revs at take off? Is there really a payoff for doing so?

† CH∆D † /

Great shot!

Dount mess with pulleys on a stock cylinder set-up. Shaving down the head will help and clutch springs can help get into the pipe and take off quicker

A 12.12 would be a decent upgrade from the 12.10

Would a 12:12 help without opening up the intake? If i take the leap to open the intake and pull the motor I might as well go 13:13 right?

If a 13:13 is the same price as a 12:12 I'd say go for that. Or try to bore out the stock 12:10 to 13mm; the worst thing you can do is ruin the stock carb and have to buy a new 13:13.

3x no speedo.

I once went without my Speedo down by the beach and people were giving me really dirty looks and I think one lady may have called the police.

So will putting a larger carb on a stock unmolested intake give me solid gains?

somewhere on the wiki a kid goes down and dirty and does just about every single mod you can do a stock vespa set-up. there are a lot of great ideas on it, i'd check it out. It made me wanna ditch my 64 dr kit and do some fun porting on a stock cylinder.

That thing is fucking GORGEOUS!!

i was given a very rough ciao recently. i have another one that i've done the business to and it goes 50ish reliably.

when i got the rough ciao, it had no carb or pipe. i slapped a 13 sha on it w/ out opening the intake, and stuck my malossi too bad on it. goes well over 30. i want to gps it before and after i open the intake, but i'll probly throw a kit on it then too.

so yeah, a 13 on a regular intake should see some gains. and your all set if you decide to kit it.

p.s. dr kits are cheap and awesome.

I will look into adding a 13:13 and putting stronger springs in my clutch to improve acceleration. Even if I don't see a whole lot of gains atleast I will be prepared for when I finally decide I have the time to throw a kit on and possibly variate although I like the simplicity and reliability of the old single speed 50cc.

Right now tires are the priority. Higher speeds with the dry rotting tires I have on there now is asking for trouble.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account