swoops/ matt turner/bobby costello custom camino subframe

Here is a functional prototype subframe designed by Matt Turner and Mr. Costello for hobbit and Caminos. I have only a few hours on this setup but so far so good.

Re: swoops/ matt turner/bobby costello custom camino subframe

Is it better than stock? Longer? Soon to be for sale?

Looks like flat steel . How is it reinforced ? Stretched ? Carb access ?

This sucker is solid. Better than stock. Optional shock positions are a great plus. They will go up for sale in the future. Just hope you are not too attached to your side covers

I had to get the mlm intake and run the carb outwards. Not stretched. Just solid welds for now. Once I get a pedal shaft in there it will help keep its integrity. Like I said I am the Guinea pig. We will add more supports if something indicates to do so.

Fish tits Krauthamer /

rust?

- Summerai - Drew /

That looks heavy. You could always trim the fat with some holes. (edited)

Water jet chromoly steel. I plan on powder coating it soon.

That looks like it would flex from side to side quite a bit. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe try welding a plate horizontally along the sides to make a cross section that looks sort of like a sideways "T" That would keep the minimalist look.

Either way, I like how clean it looks. Keep up the good work.

- Summerai - Drew /

Sweet wheels btw.

Dude The Swooptie Poops have more WagonWheels then anyone. I want a pair but they are impossible to find breaks for.

If they're ready for sale by swoops rally put me down for one. I'll pay in advance so you hold one or whatever if you need the money upfront to produce one lmk. Srsly I want one.

Btw, do you have any issues when the rear pulley fully opens touching the subframe?

I haven't noticed anything like that. Next time I am riding with people I will have someone.check that out. Hard to see myself and I hear no rubbing sounds. Thanks for the valid question.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Really like the way you designed the rear ride height. I purchased a few pair of the same shocks. Only the blue ones, with the 180Kg springs, were properly sprung for my weight (185). The gold & black ones are way too stiff (for me). I contacted them & said they do not sell just the springs. What a bummer. The cool thing is, if you get the right spring weight, there's a bunch of adjust-ability in the shocks to tune them in even more.

poop swoop Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I haven't noticed anything like that. Next time I

> am riding with people I will have someone.check

> that out. Hard to see myself and I hear no

> rubbing sounds. Thanks for the valid question.

You'd notice it yourself trust me. The belt slips making it over rev like a bitch...sounds crazy but my shit still runs great oddly enough, it's another reason why I break so many rear pulleys. It just happens when it fully opens...like passed 60-65mph. I've been having this problem for over a year now and honestly I can't figure out how to space the rear end so when the pulley opens it fits perfectly into the groove that the stock subframe has for the inside ramp plate.

So with this, how easy would it be to mount a vespa rear wheel/everything? Basically for the rear clutch and gear setup. (hopefully another valid question). It'd be real nice to get rid of the starter clutch and main clutch on the hobbit. Instead of doing the gy6 deal having to make a shaft from scratch or whatever people do, I could just mount a vespa rear. I believe I spoke with you or someone else about this in NC. Great idea, I'm def not taking credit for it.

So would you be able to mock up one of these subframes with mounting holes for a vespa rear end? Thanks in advance.

BTW, CAN'T WAIT FOR SWOOPS RALLY!

Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

> Dude The Swooptie Poops have more WagonWheels then

> anyone. I want a pair but they are impossible to

> find breaks for.

Wait...people run rear brakes?

I can trim the leading edge of the movable cheek down on the lathe if you want if the pulleys are on their way over here. How much, like 1mm?

JBOT ... Wrote:

> I can trim the leading edge of the movable cheek

> down on the lathe if you want if the pulleys are

> on their way over here. How much, like 1mm?

I'd say just eye it(I trust your eye), see how close you can get where the belt still is safe, 1mm sounds good. Might just solve my problem. They'll be in the mail tomorrow, so you'll have them by Tuesday at the latest.

Sorry to thread hijack...but I'll still want one of these when they become available

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account