whats the difference atf type a an f

im looking to put new tran fluid in my tomos a35 help

Re: whats the difference atf type a an f

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Not %100 sure about this but ATF is a general term meaning Automatic Transmission Fluid, type F is a type of Automatic Transmission Fluid. So get type F.

k thanks man

Regular trans fluid slips longer than type f. Type f is for old fords, if you put regular in a ford it will feel like the trans is going out and if you put f in a chevy it will shift realy hard. I put straight 30 synth in my puch because it doesnt change when it warms up but minarelli and garelli call for non detergent with you cant get in synth do I grab some straight 30 for lawnmowers from autozone. Hope that helps

I would go for non-detergent sae 30 won't foam up when you heat up. or reg. type f

Darrell Gabbard /

type A is one of the early atf lubes from the 60s

type F was a ford trans fluid only and some import power steering fluid of the 70s

Todd Keingeshaft /

Darrell Gabbard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> type A is one of the early atf lubes from the 60s

> type F was a ford trans fluid only

^^^^agreed. If I remember correctly, Type A was the first kind of Dexron ATF that was first made back in the 60's, followed by Type B, then just called Dexron after that.

Type A is still made, although it can be hard to find. One company that still makes it is Warren. They actually sell Warren Type A ATF at a convenience store near my house, which is what I use in my Tomos.

There are a lot of opinions as to what to use...I'm sure you'll find a bunch if you search. The dealer where I bought my Tomos told me to just use 10W30 motor oil in the trans when I asked him... Since finding the Type A stuff, thats all I have used, since thats what the owners manual said to use.

I was discussing with a moped about using detergent oils in the crank case, the moped told me that detergent oils foam up and aren't the best option for use.

I have never put anything but sae 90 gear oil in my trans boxes. works fine. For your 2 speed automatic however, maybe something thinner is in order, but I definately would not suggest ATF unless you are running a cooler for it, which is pretty much impossible unless you are a guru.

i like waffles /

type f has some grit in it, was a shady fix for a slipping non ford auto transmissions.

Todd Keingeshaft /

Aaron Miller Wrote:

>, but I definitely would not suggest ATF

> unless you are running a cooler for it, which is

> pretty much impossible unless you are a guru.

Why would you need a cooler? These transmissions don't get _that_ hot....

Slightly OT, the trans in my pickup truck uses ATF, doesn't have a cooler, and its a 5-speed! (yes, ATF is what is supposed to be in it) I would think that the trans in my truck is harder on the ATF than a moped would be. Thats just my opinion, though...

classic carl jepsen /

type f has friction modifiers and type a and mercon/dexron does not. Type f will make it shift harder

-Brian- The Ruffians STL /

Todd Keingeshaft Wrote:

>

> Slightly OT, the trans in my pickup truck uses

> ATF, doesn't have a cooler, and its a 5-speed!

> (yes, ATF is what is supposed to be in it) I

> would think that the trans in my truck is harder

> on the ATF than a moped would be. Thats just my

> opinion, though...

Are you sure about no cooler? There is usually a set of lines that go to the radiator that you wouldn't think about but they are connected to the tranny so no independent cooler, just a section (at the bottom) of radiator.

Probably Fred /

Your right he is wrong there is lines to radiator

Todd Keingeshaft /

Its a 1993 Ford Ranger, 2.3L, 5-Speed MANUAL transmission. Ford specifies ATF for the transmission, NOT gear oil, AND there are absolutely, positively NO cooling lines from the transmission to the radiator or any other transmission cooler. I have spent WAY too much time underneath that truck, so I know!

Type A used to contain a lot of whale oil. I imagine they have engineered something that works similarly now. About three years ago 99 cent stores had type A. Its out there

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account