Re: Setting Points on Peugeot

Andy Pabstalaniec /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

So I ended up just setting the points to open at 1.2 degrees BTDC, and leaving the point gap at whatever amount is determined by that, which looks to be about .014-.015. Are you supposed to just set the points to open at the right time and assume the gap will be correct simply based on the shape of the flywheel cam?

You can't really set the points to the full gap of .016 with a feeler gauge when the flywheel is at full advance because the window isn't lined up in such a way to allow you to do so. although interestingly, when I did set the points to a max gap of .016 when the flywheel opened the points all the way, the points started to open way back at 1.6, 1.7. It's conceivable that my flywheel cam is worn down, therefore not opening them the full amount of .016 when I set the points timing first instead of the gap first.

At any rate, I bet if I got a new flywheel they'd open more, however I'm still getting a fat blue spark and it runs okay and not too hot.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account