Re: Stock Peugeot 103 Tuning!!

ps: I didn't cut that fender on the TSM... I don't wanna hear it.

Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ps: I didn't cut that fender on the TSM... I

> don't wanna hear it.

haahha Looks like SHIT !!!!!

Ok I'm pretty jealous of that euro 103 and the TSM. FUCK.

yah..my setup is almost identical to kyle's 'cept i did the exhaust lip too...40mph...and after the cheap pipe hills are easy 25mph...which for my altitude is pretty good i think...

the techno circuit i just put on my puch isn't giving me toost i wanted tho' it runs about 4 mph faster but is pretty ragged...think i'm gonna downjet...

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Charlie I just want to say thanks for this awesome thread!!! You are my hero.

I got a 103 that was literally parts in boxes, got it assembled, dremeled the exhaust lip, dropped 3 balls from the variator, threw a sha 16:16 on it and derestricted the exhaust and I'm hitting a consistent 37mph on it (and im a fat bastard).

I'm running the stock mbk cdi on it and I've got a cheapo 1977 circuit on order. I'm loving this ped!

this is an awesome thread! good call on the bump marty!

37 seems like the magic number on a stock exhaust.

if i remember correctly there is a limit stop on the back side of the weights that keeps them from pushing the vario fully closed, you could grind that down to try to see the same benefit as charlie's credit-card trick, or just stick the credit card in there.

i just got me a TSM so i'm back in the Pug game... couldn't resist. This time i'm going doppler 50 FTW.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

For sure! I'm going to mess with the variation tonight and modify if necessary, maybe experiment with dropping the rear sprocket down a few teeth. Are you going to run the stock case with the doppler?

Has anyone tried messing with the clutch in these things at all? Different springs? Lightening that arms?

yeah for sure, the clutch uses balls and you can go from 6 (stock) to 2, 3 or 4 balls. you can also double up the star shaped spring thingy, put two of them back to back and get much higher stall.

for my stock bike, 3 balls and one spring seemed about perfect. On my brother's airsal 70 kit, the 2 ball/2 spring works well.

i never noticed a problem from the starter shoes, maybe i just wasn't paying attention, but cheetahchrome has a good thread there about it.

my current build will be doppler 50cc on stock cases (ported, duh, based on johno's pictures from forever ago) 14 SHA with tomos reeds. I'm spending money on my truck right now though, so its just chillin' for a few weeks.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

The balls only control variation rate right? Not so much clutch engagement or am I missing something?

Dirty30 Dillon /

the balls on the pugs control clutch engagement and the swing-arm weights control variation.

Wonky French TechnoBaguette

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Interesting, I'll have to take a closer look at it.

try 3 balls one spring or 4 balls 2 springs. They are very close to the same RPM engagement, but can make a world of difference with a modded stocker.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

So my cheapo circuit pipe showed up today and I'm seeing similar results to what others have posted. Better low end but I lost 1mph off my topend

I dremeled the hanger hole a little bit so the pipe is ever so slightly lower. I can use my kickstand and it does't get in the way when the bike variates. I had to take a little bit off the perimeter of the flange connector that goes with the screw in style connection to get it to fit in the port.

Looking down into the pipe I think I see what might be causing a little bit of restriction. I'm thinking I'll just chop the pipe along where the coupling is welded to the rest of the pipe taking that jankiness inside with it. Then just weld it back together. I'll report back with my findings.

Yeah that sucks and is for sure a restriction.

roadent$ craig /

I'm in the middle of tuning a 103 too. The clutch engagement is giving me such grief. I did cheetachromes starter clutch mod... Running on two balls. Revs up like I want then bogs as soon as the starters grab. Didn't even notice a different. Launch lever going today then calling it done.

I've thought of flipping starter clutches on both mobys and pugs. I can't remember the orientation of pugs but moby starters grab opposite to how a regular clutch operates, literally jamming the bell. If it were flipped it would definitely slip more, but would it still grab to start?

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Well I didn't chop it yet, but I took some channel locks and I was able to flatten out the split piece of header against the walls of the coupling. Put it back on and GPS'd is at 43mph with Casseroller Tyler on it (he's skinny).

So I got my top end back and I've got some more low end with the el cheapo pipe.

Once I get a launch lever on it I'm calling it done.

So on the clutch topic side of things I'm having similar issues as others, I'm running 3 balls at the moment. I don't really get any slip and it sticks when I'm coming to a stop. As a workaround to it dying at stop I've found as that if I rev it right before I stop it'll break the arms free and I can idle.

good to hear the restriction helped...43 for a stocker is really good! i was getting a little less than that when i was using the same pipe...but i'm at altitude and that kinda slows peds down...

lots of talk on the forum about this sticky clutch issue...personally i've never experienced it...either i must be lucky or i don't pull enough revs...using 3 balls and lightened weights is my magic combo...

i should be getting my airsal 50cc kit today...i plan to wait until winter to install but i wonder if i'll start getting sticky clutch...lol

there are two sticking of clutches, you can stick the starter clutch shoes if you are heavy blasting or you can stick the balls if you aren't shimmed correctly. I had the ball thing happening one time i put things together kinda screwy and the balls were coming out too far and getting stuck in the grooves.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

That's good to know Graham. Is there a good way to test/troubleshoot for the sticking balls or just disassemble inspect, reassemble?

Brad Olivier /

THATS whats happening to me, i finally found an answer lol

that thread where cheetahchrome talks about making the clutch shimmer checking tool, that would be what you would have to do to figure it out.

i cant remember how i figured it out, i think i just noticed the extra play somewehre and realized a shim was missing? i dunno...

@bubba54: you should do a writeup/review of that airsal. it looks like a nice cheap 50cc kit, but there isn't anyone talking about it.

Nathan Schmidt /

I recently got my 103 lvs-U3 running decent and I decided I would try to make it go a little faster so I can keep up with my friend on his Triumph when he goes on 45mph roads (I don't expect to go the speed limit but every bit counts). So I took out the baffle in the muffler and there seems to be a noticeable 2-3mph difference. I don't really want to do anything permanent to my moped but extra speed is always welcome. Not sure what else to do though.

@cj...yep, i plan to...hopefully the 50cc will give me the boost i want...

for the same money folks seem to want the 70cc kits (instant gratification)

Nathan Schmidt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I recently got my 103 lvs-U3 running decent and I

> decided I would try to make it go a little faster

> so I can keep up with my friend on his Triumph

> when he goes on 45mph roads (I don't expect to go

> the speed limit but every bit counts). So I took

> out the baffle in the muffler and there seems to

> be a noticeable 2-3mph difference. I don't really

> want to do anything permanent to my moped but

> extra speed is always welcome. Not sure what else

> to do though.

You will not hurt the value of your bike by making it faster. Do the stock mods and enjoy 40-40mph.

@ Matt; You probably have the thick spacer washer in your vario. I had the thin washer and was getting the sticking, swapped the whole vario for one with the thick washer and no sticking.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Well last night I disassembled my variator and inspected, nothing looked out of whack so I put it back together. No more sticking clutch now! I'm guessing something just wasn't sitting quite right, maybe the starter clutch pad.

An old thread, I know.

Just wanted to say thanks as a newbie to peds and Peugeot. Lots of good information here and in other threads.

I somehow ended up with two mopeds - to go along with a '65 Honda S90 which is bastardized into a Cafe style bike (may sell it now that its done as I kinda like the mopeds more even if they're a lot, lot slower).

Just starting to play around with the Pug with the first thing being removing 3 balls. Definite difference but issues off the line after coming to a stop - I see various references to that so I think I get why. I guess more fun will follow

I have exactly the same problem, i replaced my crank bearings, but that didn't help. I'm guessing that maybe it's the small end bearing. I think i'll start a thread on this later

Dirty30 Dillon /

Sticky starter clutch.^^^

Yeah starter clutch is sticking. I did the mod on the shoes and I think it may have caused me to loose speed. It seems like my clutch is slipping at WOT, though I don't see how it could. I still love the mod because i can always slap a pipe back on my set up to rip.

Nathan Schmidt /

Bump.

This thread needs to be seen.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account