Vespa subframe re-enforcement?

Rollo Tomassi /

Where are the weak areas of a Grande subframe that need some help? I am looking to do so welding to make mine stronger. I did some searches for info, but the results were limited.

Put plates across the areas where the rear tire bolts up, and the front pivot points?

Square tubing along the top and bottom?

I want to keep the side covers, but I'm not afraid to cut them a little if needed.

Thanks

Re: Vespa subframe re-enforcement?

GET REALIZED! BE HERE NOW! /

You are close

I would also like to know about this. It seems that if you just welded some square tubing along the sides it would interfere with stuff like the belt, chain, choke lever, etc.

I broke a subframe clean off on my Grande. It broke underneath the bolt to the frame. I've also cracked them on the left rear where the wheel attaches, and the "box" behind the carb connecting the two sides.

Rollo Tomassi /

Good information so far, thanks!

a buddy of mine reproduced the Vespa subframe

in 1/8 inch plate steel

he had a Simonini race motor but it broke the

stock subframe in 15 minutes

This is a Kinetic TFR. they are very similar. $15 took care of it for me. This is the only place mine needed support. rigid as can be now.

Here's the main spot I kept breaking subframes on my Grande. I thought I had more pictures of the worse breaks, but I'll have to take some.

IMAG0067.jpg

thats a thought.....

well done

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account