what is your take on the Sachs Columbia moped?

mateo Salvetti /

im getting ready to buy one. what are the pro's and con's about this ped?

Re: what is your take on the Sachs Columbia moped?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Better than a Ciao.

Lets see..

Columbia Commuter

- Sachs 505/1a

- 14mm Square bing

- Stock everything yields around 27 mph

-Ported intake, raised exhaust, no base gasket, performance exhaust, size 12 front gear, rejet yields around 38mph (cost under 200, closer to 150)

150- 200 dollars to jump 11MPH faster, is a good deal.

For 150-200 you can get the d jug, crank and piston (40mph+)

Cons. no performance forks

-square bing sucks bc of lack of air filter availablilty

-clutch issues for kitted (70cc or 80cc) Slippage

-90 degree intake bad design but can be ported open to .625 (15.75mm)

Solid little bike, great beginners bike to tune, easy to work on and easy to modify, reliable!

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

my commuter feels like a childs toy. its fun for bouncing around town at 30 mph or so. be sure to get some LRBz.

Like “Funkenet” Hosfield /

You can make "performance" forks fit on a Colombia^

I like them, support is growing for them, not a good platform for going over 50, but really 35 is pretty doable and makes for an enjoyable simple moped.

It looks good, you can do fun things with it. it feels a little janky but it's a moped, go do dumb things, break it, fix it. enjoy.

to contest the previous cons. you can get better forks, you can replace the square bing, and the intake is not really a problem.

the clutch however yea, it sucks. but works well enouhg for the daily

You have to watch out for rust though- mine has always been stored indoors and never ridden in the rain, (including by the pevious owner; my grandafather) yet rust spots can occaionally spring up in odd places under the frame or rear fender. Attack it with some rustolium and you'll be all set!

The frame is relatively light, but if you plan on fastness in the future a crossbrace would not be a bad idea. Also, the shocks suck (front and rear) but its not a big deal. but its a dirt simple moped, and has got some good character. It also dresses up nicely with some low handle bars and a new seat.

The Sachs engine requires some creativity to tune, since there are parts but they have limited choices. But if you get it running right, its bulletproof. Do your research about the engine if you want to get into tuning it. I might have some stock 505/1a parts if you need them, since im rebuilding with a kit, pipe, crank, carb, and cdi currently

mateo Salvetti /

would you say its a nice beginners moped? easy to fix, easy to find parts for?

I will say that it is my first (and so far) only moped. I knew a few things about engines in general before i got it, but the sachs engine is very simple. Easy to fix, parts are not the easiest thing to find however.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

mateo Salvetti Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> would you say its a nice beginners moped? easy to

> fix, easy to find parts for?

i would say yes. it was my first as well.

Like “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Yeah they are easy to own stock. Harder and more expensive to make a fast moped compared to Puchs.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account