MO1 no torque

Alex Steffenson /

Hey guys, my morini starts and idles good but it has no low end power. With me sitting on it it can get going. It will rev up but not move. I'm not really sure what else to look at :(

Re: MO1 no torque

If you have no power under load then you likely have an air leak. My Sebring did the same thing a couple weeks ago. I had a big air leak behind the stator. Fixed it and it's doing wheelies again!

Alex Steffenson /

Hmm okay. I'm a bit new to these so where should I be looking for leaks at?

wherever two things come together.

Carb to intake, intake to cylinder, head to cylinder, exhaust to cylinder, cylinder to case.

Shoot some carb cleaner at any seal, basket, or mating surface, if the motor bogs out, or dies, you found your leak.

Alex Steffenson /

Yeah good suggestions guys. Ill give that a shot and see how it goes. Thanks again!

if it will start take a can of starting fluid or carb cleaner (my choice) and with the bike running, spray down all the areas that might have a leak.

When you hear the RPMS drop and the bike begin to die a little, theres your leak.

Alex Steffenson /

Brilliance.

Alex Steffenson /

Well, you guys were right. Its sucking air in where the carb is clamped onto the intake. I verified it with carb spray and it would die. I tightebed the clamp screw more and more but still it didn't seal. I made sure my surfaces were nice and clean and still couldn't make it seal. It has a dellorto 14.12 on it and stock intake. Any ideas on why no matter how much I tighten it down it still wouldn't seal up?

You probably need a new plastic shim. It goes inside the carb clamp area, and onto the intake. They crack real easy over time, and overtightening. Make sure the new one seats all the way into the carb, and the carb goes as far onto the intake as possible. I found out the hard way on my Vespa.

Alex Steffenson /

Hmm ok cool ill give that a try. Does treats offer the shims?

Alex Steffenson /

I also just realized that my carb is completely missing its air box. All I have on the bike is the dellorto screen. I'm assuming now its also letting way too much air in. Are there any air filters I can use to help this out?

Treats does carry the shims - as to whether or not theyre in stock is another matter completely.

I would order some larger jets and a better air filter, rather than find a stock air box. Also available at treats...

Alex Steffenson /

I believe right now it has a 47 or 48 jet in there. How much bigger should I get?

Depends on what, if any, future modifications you may be planning. I'd say you should get an expansion pipe at minimum - you'll be much happier. If that is in your plans, then just buy the 50's pack from treats and you'll get a good range of 5 different jets.

Alex Steffenson /

A pipe is definitely something I will be doing soon. Treats has the EV racing pipes for morinis would that be a good choice?

The EV racing pipe is what I have on my MO2. I'm very happy with it, although I had to fab up a rear support because the holes didnt match up. That depends on what bike your engine is on, though. Maybe your holes will match? Dunno.

Alex Steffenson /

Cool, thanks for the info I really appreciate it. EV pipe it is

Alex Steffenson /

Just bought a filter, shim, jets, and the ev pipe. Ill let you know hiw it goes!

Alex Steffenson /

How much bigger will my jets need to be after I throw on the ev pipe? All I bought were the 50s series.

Start with the highest number and work your way down. So many different factors with jetting. You'll probably end up needing a 60, just because you didn't buy it.

I doubt you'll need to go up 10 jet sizes just from the pipe. That being said, I would do just what Daniel recommends - start big and work your way down.

Alex Steffenson /

Will do. Thanks.

Alex Steffenson /

I got my parts today but unfortunately the plastic shim I got doesn't fit. It's too big. Again I have a stock Morini MO1, and I bought the shim that says it fits most morini bikes. The shim itself is too big to fit in the carb without some persistence and it's also pretty loose on the intake. Is there a smaller one available? This is the one I bought which is too big.

https://www.treatland.tv/dellorto-SHA-2mm-carburetor-shim-for-morini-mopeds-p/dellorto-sha-2mm-shim-morini.htm

Thanks

I just got one from 1977 that fit mine perfect.

HERE

16mm x 20mm x 14mm

Alex Steffenson /

Perfect! That's exactly what I need thanks.

which sha is it?

14/12 or 14/12p

that stock sha 14/12 is a different size than a 14/12p

and the original intakes are really small, if you want to run the p version

this guy's got the intake

you have to read it all, you want the stock one that needs no riser

Alex Steffenson /

Oh geez those are awesome. I might have to do that. My other idea was to make an intake for a carb a have lying around from a honda 6.5 4 stroke motor. I assume any carb could work on a 2 stroke right?

ok so this thread got me thinking,

i took a rubber air hose sliced it the width of the spacer

it dropped loose into the sha 14/12p,

stretched it over the stock intake was too big didn't fit.

sanded it with 100grit for about 5 minutes could edge it in but not all the way.

sanded it a little bit more took it off the intake, dropped it in the carb, spit on it for lube and shoved it in all the way to the base of the carb(had to remove the bolt and spread the gap with a flat head.

it was in there snug you could see the black rubber behind the carb gap like a gasket!

cranked it down with the bolt and its idling great.

the old one has no idle hole like the newer p's

Alex Steffenson /

Haha you know what? I did a verrry similar thing. I was desperate to see how the bike would run with my new pipe and bigger jet, so I took some cork gasket material I had lying around and cut strips to fit in the carb, then layered one more in to fill in the space. It seemed to work because the bike ran good. I ordered up the correct shim....but hell, that worked pretty well for something I just threw together.

A rubber hose probably would have worked a lot better. Great minds think alike!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account