What gearing would you suggest/change front or rear sprocket?

Wouldntyou Wannaknow /

So, I'm in the process of adding some mods on my Magnum XK with an e50 and I wanna get the most out of what I'm doing to it so I'm wondering what gearing you would suggest. I took a look at the gearing spreadsheet and it looks like most of them were done by changing the size of the front sprocket--so is that the easier one to switch out to optimize everything or should I change the rear sprocket?

About the bike:

Magnum XK with an e50

Airsal 70cc kit

16mm Carb and Intake

Proma Circut pipe.

er'thang else is stock.

I live in Pittsburgh, so there are a lot of hills to pull. I think the gearing on it now is 14:45, and I'd like something that pulls the hills reasonably well but also can increase top speed. Any help as always would be appreciated and thanks a lot.

Re: What gearing would you suggest/change front or rear sprocket?

Wouldntyou Wannaknow /

16mm Malossi carb and intake, my bad.

-Brian- The Ruffians STL /

A proma circuit isn't going to rev out far but it does pull down low so you want to go larger in front and smaller in back. I would go with a 17 x 40 setup or roughly thereabout and tune your clutch to keep the low end from getting hurt so much by this. That should give you a top speed of 45+.

Overpriced Parts /

17x40 cause 14x45 gonna waste your stock crank like no tomorrow

Just tune your clutch good and you will have good take off

im in the burgh and my gf's bike is on 17x40 now and its poopy im going to drop her to 16x40 and tune the clutch a bit better. she doesnt have stock crank though sooo yea. i just bought a fish scale to do'em if you want to borrow it let me know im just dahn the hill from you in lawrenceville.

Wouldntyou Wannaknow /

Thanks for everything, I think I'm gonna go with 17:40 and see how that goes since everyone recommended that. Warnock, awesome you're so close--I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

not everyone! My e50/70 Airsal/ 14bing/derestricted cigar pulls 16x36 very well...that's my reccomend (edited)

Wouldntyou Wannaknow /

What kinda top speed you get with that setup, Mel?

My bad , I just realised my ratio is 16x38, sorry. I was runnig 18x38 and getting 45 on flat by the speedo, but wouldn't climb hills for shit. With the 16x38 climbs good, tops at 41. with stock gearing it wouldn't even slow down on hills and toped at 35.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account