Express deluxe performance improvements

jeffrey vruggink /

My 83 Honda express deluxe is really coming together nicely. I put a new set of rings and gaskets on it, cleaned the carb, cleaned out the muffler as best as I could and last night I installed a new gates BX31 belt. It runs about 31mph on the flats now(up from 25-26mph) and I'm wondering what else I should/could do for further improvement. I dont want to get to radical(70cc kit, crazy exhaust etc) but would like to maximize the perfomance while staying as close to stock as possible. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Express deluxe performance improvements

remove 3 of the six front variator weights for improved acceleration.

jeffrey vruggink /

Thanks, what will this do to the top end?? Also, does this hurt the reliability of the scooter in general?

nothing and no

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/search.php?7

search nu50 or express or anything you seek knowledge on.

jeffrey vruggink /

Thanks for the info.

briny briny /

You can also swap out the restrictive air filter and replace with a UNI foam filter or something similar. Pretty cheap and it will help. Or, if you don't want to even spend that much, drill some or cut some holes in the airbox and let the thing breathe. Don't forget to check your jetting.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

putting a pipe on it is the best thing you will be able to do to it without going 70cc's (proma). Like Kevin said go to 3 weights , bx31 belt, port matching your exhaust is basicly free and will help, and of course ff filter will help the power. Check your compression and see where it is maybe new rings will help if your comp. is low and or if it is... going to a 60cc kit shocko is cheap and reliable since porting is the same as the 50cc stock cyl. and going to a 16" rear is good too, if you have the rpm's to get it going. These are the cheap ways of avoiding the 70cc kit and still get you up there. or go 70cc and FTW !! final answer!

^ like he said I would recommend going"balls deep" into the thing and "throwing "the horns up" as you blast around 60mph(depending on your weight) into the sunset.......but that's just how I roll:)

jeffrey vruggink /

I've already put a new set of rings and gaskets on it and it was a great improvement in acceleration.

This weekend I replaced the drive belt with a gates BX31, now the top speed is over 32 mph, which is great since it was like 26 before. The old belt was worn to 11mm wide so no wonder.

I also pulled the variator and removed 3 weights but they had some major flat spots on them and now I hear quite a bit of "rattle" coming from the variator. The acceleration improved again somewhat, top speed remained the same. I'd like to replace those worn variator weights with some new ones, perhaps lighter ones but 6 of them. Is there anywhere that sells replacement weights?

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

yeah taking 3 of the weights out wont make faster but brings back the lowend from going to the bx31. the weights are 16x13, Rick ems used to make them dont know now, ebay? and most tuners acheive best by having a combined weight of 27-29 grams. The noise from your variator is more than likely beltslap since the bx31 has issues getting to the bottom from being wider and longer.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account