Removing the clear coat on a pipe

I just de-restricted my estoril pipe and now there is a very nice clean weld around the chamber. Obviously the weld and surrounding areas are now bare metal and will promptly rust if left like this.

So what is the best way to remove the clear coat? I assume the paint would start to flake if I painted over the clear coat. Is there a chemical or something? Or is it something best to do with sandpaper and some elbow grease?

Re: Removing the clear coat on a pipe

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Did you fix the header to cone joint ?

Also have people had good luck with this paint ?

No, I saw it could use some love there but I didn't have time to get into that.

Salsa Salsa /

Bbq paint? Or high temp header paint

Fix the header for 1/3 to 1+ HP more power.

Wood stove/BBQ pant.

Yes but how do I remove the shitty clearcoat? Easier the better.

Just heat it with a torch and pant over it, don't let bubel.

I am also gonna repack my baffle. So fucking gross in there.

Try Cat piss.

goddamn dude quit posting pictures of your burning man friends.. gross!

i haven't figured out a good/easy way to get that clear coat off either. the hard way is to heat it with a torch till it gets melty and run a cup brush in an angle grinder over it.

if you figure something else out, post it up, i might be needing to do a ton of that in the near future.

i use the VHT flame proof header paint for all my exhausts and the VHT caliper paint on the heads i make. The header paint has a real nice matte 'velvet' finish and its the only thing that holds up to 365 days of wisconsin weather, plus grease and oil.

oh yeah, all the VHT is 'nano-ceramic' meaning you have to cook it to get the paint to set, if you dont carb cleaner or gas will take the shit right off.

I was running way too hot at some point on that pipe and the clear coat burned right off the header. I was thinking that I could throw the pipe on a bonfire for a while and it will most likely burn off.

I just wonder if it will fuck up the pipe. Do you think a bonfire will get hot enough to melt or warp my pipe?

I doubt it would melt the pipe, but it might melt the baffle packing or any aluminum.

I would definitely remove the baffle before putting it into the fire.

Not my friend Graham just a dumb ass pic.

Cat's freak Funke out He he

Hamburger ass is creepier. I am excited to have a legit reason to have a bonfire.

Had a fire last night. The clear coat burned right off. I used a wire brush drill attachment to get the remnants off.

Planning to paint it tonight. It says you have to wait 7 days for it to dry. 7 days! That is way too long.

If u don't have a fire a grinding wheel with wirebrush works well by itself

Looksgood!

i wonder if "stripper" brand paint stripper from home depot would take it off. i call it stripper in a can because people thing there's a girl who gets naked in a can. that stuff made the factory mag wheel paint on my puch snow flakes shrivel up like bacon and practically jump off the wheels.

John Joedicke /

Aircraft paint stripper. Wrong forum. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account