New old lathe: what to make???

Just got an old southbend 9 lathe with a bit of tooling.

It's in decent enough shape, but has plenty of use.

Now that I finally have one, what to make for big time moped performance! Ha

I've got a list so far....

Pull start flywheel mount for av7/hobbit

Hobbit crank 3rd bearing support ( Graham, you are a slacker! Lol, jk)

Aluminum weights for hobbit

Variator bushing for this weird aftermarket scooter variator

Oh, and of course reshaping variators and cutting down the center of the hobbits cam follower for progressive pulley mod.

Various drums to disc brake adaptor

Head reshaping/cyl decking

Wow! Are lathes and fast mopeds interconnected in a symbiotic relationship?

That should take forever...but should be a good time.

Any things you'd suggest to make?

Re: New old lathe: what to make???

Za50 crank to variator adapter sleeve

♣Slew Foot♣ /

performance batavus m48 racing cranks, silly

Spacer rings for italian wheels to bring the OD of a bearing into a standard available sealed bearing size.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

To answer your first question: Yes

One of these...

To do this...

To do this to these...

But why are they so long, Mars?

lighten then weld e50 main gears!!!!!!

They're only about 3/4 or an inch longer than necessary for like a Gila or Derbi head. The rig is stiff as hell, and the thing is, if they're too long, there's no real problem but if one day I want to put something on there and it's too short, it'll be sucky time. So, they're so long because they can be.

Oh, picture #2 was just prototyping. Those are just standoffs that I didn't use. The actual posts in #1 are a lot shorter.

somebody come fix ours, im already bored of the milling machine.

universal disc brake mount that goes into the hole for the drum brake and expands when you tighten it

Emil Kniemel /

I will probably buy everything you make for a hobbit.

Make deeper drive variator cheeks

Make a spaceship!!!! Lol ROAR!!!!

why in the world would you want a 3rd support on the crankshaft. There are already made thicker and I have never heard of any clowns breaking the 17mm vario side. btw, caminos is the ones that came with the crankshafts to start. nice to find old machining tools. (edited)

make the tjt and the stock hub facing the same angle/degrees so the belt will perform better. (edited)

I wanted to try a 3rd bearing because there's nothing wrong with the stock crank. Since my stock crank only has like 1000 miles on it, why not let it live a lil longer? I've wanted to try it to see how long the stocker will last.

Plus, if it does break, the 3rd bearing will hold it so it doesn't go flying down the road.

i want a 3rd bearing cover for my derbi, so much weight on that crank bearing, sucks rebuilding your shit every 3000

glad to see you finally found one! sorry i didn't get around to doing that shaft, i've been hella busy at work, no time to sneak off and do side projects.

Make some of those Grimeca mag disc brake adapters. I remember seeing a photo a while back of something that went into the brake hub on a Grimeca snowflake and would pinch with bolts so you could mount a disc brake.

-Aron

oh, its only a matter of time before it goes and spinning them crazy rpms you got going on with that hacked contra spring you have setup. Make sure you run with the covers and you won't have to chase it down thus making it a problem then. I would skip the bullshit and replace it the crankshaft, imo. To each is there own.

go clutchless and.. it looks like that trimmed the vario down also. Screw on vario plate.. oddly. hacker vario for the derbis. :) contra spring is bump you need.

CA2.jpg
derbiflatreedfixedvariator (Medium).jpg

It is my hypothesis that the cranks break because of over tightening with the rear bottomed out, that or not balanced variator weights...

If I'm right, once I do a 3rd bearing it WON'T break. But you gotta do tests and long term experiments sometimes.

If it doesn't work, I will be the better for knowing it doesn't.

Well said, jbot. I know, don't fix it unless you break it "theory:Old wise men told many moons ago." :)cheers. Post some pic of the machine :) (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account