KTM50 clutches// dimensions

for those who have done the puch ktm clutch what is the taper on those? similar to puch or similar to minarelli? also they're really cheap on ebay. is that right? are they only $30 or are those cheapo clones? slotted pads vs dots? (edited)

Re: KTM50 clutches// dimensions

Salsa Salsa /

Cheap from china

Yeah, the goofballs making them used to spam them here. Someone finally tried one out and they were complete garbage. The taper didn't sit flush, and the pad segments broke.

Oh, but to answer your question in partial, the taper on the real KTM (at least the one that I have) is the same as the Puch.

Puch is a 6 degree taper. A guy at an instrument shop measured a real KTM clutch taper and it's 6 degrees as well, although he said he would be more willing to bet that it's 5.75 degrees.

Either way, several people have run them without problems on puch cranks without modifying either taper.

Bumping. how can you tell a real KTM from a cheapo clone? what do they usually go for?

if the taper is same/ similar as puch. im thinking about flipping it and cutting new taper to fit a v1 crank. (edited)

Normally the clutch itself should cost over $100.

Real:

Notice the fiber elements in the friction material and the high grade bolts holding the segments on.

Fake:

Cheaper bolts and friction material, and the pattern on the friction material is different.

Obviously fake:

(edited)

I don't know if people have cut the taper, but I'd check it out before throwing on a lathe. I think the center is some sort of hardened steel.

If you can file it, you can turn it

Which clutch above was tried and broke? I wouldn't mind trying the other one to see if it's any better. I may even just use it for the center/hardware and machine new shoes to use mcmaster friction material designed for the ID of a puch clutch bell.

I think the last picture posted was the first version from the company making them, and the second is their improved copy. Definitely don't use the orange one, but maybe they improved things with their latter design.

Here's the original thread: https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,2108915

"Frank" is what the dude from China who used to spam the forums called himself FYI. (edited)

I can get a very special clutch and they are very very costly and made for the v1's. Looks like a ktm but with a smaller taper.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account