thicker base gasket

i have a puch with a treats 45mm reed kit. if i use the the thicker base gasket (2mm) will that cause more lower end or more top end? by raising the port timing.

Re: thicker base gasket

It will start to create crappy running as you add a larger and larger step between the piston crown periphery and the port floors.

Try it and see what it does for yourself. theoretically it would give you more top end.

Dangertooth -PipeDreams/- /

This is all new to me... but: Doesn't it depend on how open the ports are with the piston at BDC using your current set up?

Don't have time to sit here and explain it all, but read the jennings and the bell handbooks on the wiki. You will feel enlightened.

Dangertooth -PipeDreams/- /

Ack. Good call, shoulda done that in the first place!

With some of my french tinkering i can tell you that it isn't worth it unless you plan on decking the top of the cylinder. If you raise the cylinder substantially you create more volume in the combustion area which will lead to less compression, poorer performance and the possibility to have more unspent fuel charge present. This will lead to carbon build up faster which will work against you as it builds up in the rings, pipe etc.

2mm can be quite a bit.

If you shim their are many measurements you should do to keep your motor performance. to name a few; squish band, compression, top of piston elevation in relation to bottom of exhaust port@ BDC. If the motor is port inducted you may need to measure piston skirt coverage of intake port @ TDC to cutdown on blow back etc. These are just some things Ive read and observed over time. I suggest also going through the jennings. I havent completed it yet myself but it has some great info!

Experiment!

If you make the changes needed to keep the compression pressure the same, low end may be a bit less, top end a bit better.

thanks everybody that replied. i ended up using the thinner 1mm and a head gasket. eye balled the timing on the hpi mini rotor and the bike fires right up.

now just got to find starter cables that wont break.

again thanks for the help.

go for the bigger base gasket. you'll be glad you did. just don't EVER EVER use cork rubber gasket as a base. bad news bears.

treats sells from .5- 2mm base gaskets. i used the 1mm

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account