Fastest you've gone on a hobbit without variator mods

Have any of you gone 50+ with the stock three roller Hobbit variator . No tjt or Derbi stuff here . Just stock Hobbit drive parts . I wonder what rpm you'd be pushing at 50mph . I simply want to compare your setup to mine .

78 paii

Zx scoot pipe

70cc wizzard kit

Stock bored pai carb , 13.3mm 89 jet

Lightened rollers to 8.5 grams each

All else is standard Hobbit stuff except some work on the case widening the transfers and opening the transfers on the kit to match .

Setup screams from 5-40 then slowly makes its way up to 50.

I'm extremely happy with this setup but thought 50 was kinda fast for an unnotched variator and simple setup otherwise .

What does your unnotcher Hobbit variator get you to mph wise . Acceleration too .

Re: Fastest you've gone on a hobbit without variator mods

Emil Kniemel /

funny, i was curious about the top speed for an unnotched stock variator as well. 50mph is plenty fast enough for me to keep a stock variator around in case i have trouble tuning. would clutch springs help your 0-5?

Salsa Salsa /

I don't think notching helps you go faster. It just makes the vario open wider so you have better low end. If you could make it close more, that would help the top speed.

Clutch springs will help your low end as well.

(Casserollers) ∴ Μ Λ Ι Ζ Σ ∴ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It just makes the vario open wider

The opposite of this duh

For more low on the stock vari you can shave off the inside edge of the hub, where the rollers dead end into the hub at the bottom of the ramps. That let's them sit lower thus the vari is spaced out further at rest. This mod lets bigger belts (stocker or bx) deeper into the front pulley, thus better low.

Dangertooth -PipeDreams/- /

JBOT: I recall reading that you don't want the belt to rest on the shaft. Does this mod affect longevity for the life of the belt at all? If not, why am I not doing it right now?

Salsa Salsa /

Mars, is correct. I don't know what I was thinking.

IT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I SAID. (edited)

Emil Kniemel /

(Casserollers) ∴ Μ Λ Ι Ζ Σ ∴ Wrote:

> Mars, is correct. I don't know what I was

> thinking.

>

> IT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I SAID.

i thought you were trolling on purpose. i cant tell with you anymore.

but i guess thats the idea.

BL∀CK PLAGUE Brent Wrote:

> JBOT: I recall reading that you don't want the

> belt to rest on the shaft. Does this mod affect

> longevity for the life of the belt at all? If not,

> why am I not doing it right now?

You don't want it on the shaft, but as close as possible.

Stock belt and the bx are very far away from the center hub without this mod.

I don't know why you're not doing it now, you like slow takeoff and taking 3 seconds to jump into the high powerband?

On the TJT you actually mill the outer center of the hub where the ramp plate sits. At rest if you close a tjt and shake it, you can hear the rollers rattling around. That means the ramp plate isn't making contact with the rollers at rest. I milled mine at least 2-3mm and the rollers still don't hit the plate.

The trick is you have to cut a bit of the top of the vari ramps on the tjt if you mill the center down farther. The ramp plate edges will hit the top of the variator ramps.

It's ok to mill down the top of the ramps because even at full tjt variation, the rollers never even get close to the top.

Emil Kniemel /

would it make sense that if you have smaller diameter rollers than stock, the ramp plate would also be sitting closer, thus helping your bottom end? even though the rollers are smaller, they would push the ramp plate ~the same amount on the top end?

Salsa Salsa /

I know a guy who uses a router and shaves the inside of the belt down so it sits lower. He swears by it.

Don't use a router. Put the engine on the stand, crank down your idle screw, the hold some sand paper against the side of the belt.

Salsa Salsa /

I m for real. Matt "big block" has a router set up to shave belts for the snowmobiles he builds. Send him a PM if you wanna know more about it.

That's hilarious.... Never thought of shaving down a belt.

It makes sense though.

I'm more for adjusting the metal parts,

so you only have to do the mod once...

Still, it would be cool to try shaving belts. Must smell great

I'll do some clutch tuning , believe me , I will . How will I not gain mph after notching . This ain't my first rodeo boys . Tjt just isn't on the budget . So how fast are you boys running stoch variators running ? What nobody runs them anymore ?

jbot, any photos of a hub with the shaved inside edge?

I'll send you a pic, please post it. I'm not in the mood to FTP.

Emil Kniemel /

You don't like the MA uploader?

Any thoughts on the whole smaller diameter weights theory?

Yes, smaller weights would do the same until the ramp plate dead ends into the hub.

MA uploader don't no work with mah iPhone. (edited)

Emil Kniemel /

Yeah. Someone needs to make pa50ii plastic weights smaller in diameter but just as heavy. Lose the weight guides and you have a plug and play mod that increases the bottom end.

I guess you'd possibly lose a little bit of the top cause it wouldn't push out as far. Maybe.

hey ricky, i have a few windowed and notched, which one do you want? ill bring it thursday night.

and i have a modified bx belt. i might even try to beat yer ass for breaking my toe and cutting my leg open last week fucker :P

I was at about ~45mph

DR 70cc

12.7 stock carburetor, drilled jet =[

zx pipe

unnotched p2 vario with p2 weights

p2 reeds / intake

no port work

Then I notched it and it would get up to 60 pretty quick.

Hmmmmm . What toe ? Durafixed that other one , just needs cleaned up yet . I'm curious what it'll Erie notched .

Hey you , post that face cut down jbot did .

Scooter , its on , imatakeyouout !

tuckers a slacker

pic here....

image.jpg

Oh , I thought you were sauna you took some off of the bottom of the face that the belt rides.on . But left the top the same . Just making it steaper . Now I see .

It just let's rollers sit lower.

I also sometimes shave the center "nose" of the vari, but with the stock or notched I wouldn't do it here, as overvariation is an issue with hobbits. Shavin' the nose that bumps against the fixed pulley if it's shorter allows big time over variation.

Derick Soland /

Ive got a 70cc parmakit, promo exhaust, malossi carb, rest is stock gets to 52mph, i have new springs just waiting for tool to come in to put them on. scared to notch, something about a chain saw next to my leg freaks me out.

27mph on a hobbit with a terrible case leak that I bought for $50

yo so sorry about not posting that pic. i saw it, deleted it and this is the first time i've checked this forum since. and now i see that i was supposed to share. my b jbot, promise i'm not a slacker.

Nick swoop takes home the grand prize Hobbit .

Jbot , how's that nose shave thing cause overvariation ? The shape of the ramp give it an over the hump action becoming more progressive past mid variation on the front ?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account