Can I make my 1976 Batavus go faster?

Nora Burkhard /

I just bought my first moped (after looking for one that I could afford for 3 years)! I know very little about engines and mechanical things, but am still enjoying working on my lil scoot.

It's taken me a while to get it in good enough condition to ride it. I had to clean out the gas tank that was pretty severely rusted inside (I'm sure it still is far from perfect) and changed the gas line and valves.

Now the problem is that it only goes about 21 mph... not exactly road worthy. I bought it so that I can ride it to work during the summer and school during the semester, but at 20 mph i'm afraid that other drivers on the road will get mad at me, rightfully so.

Is there any way to make it go faster? I was told that it doesn't have a governor on it, but that could be wrong.

0528121247.jpg

Re: Can I make my 1976 Batavus go faster?

Not a scoot...it's a PuTT.

It's a BaTtaVus.

Nora Burkhard /

Haha! I knew someone would say something about the "scoot" :P I just like the word :)

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Is that so Nora then go to a scooter form and post for help, We like MOPED's.

Nora Burkhard /

Alrighty, well I seem to have managed to offend a few people on my very first post. I apologize for the frivolous use of the word "scoot," this is a mistake that I will be sure never to make again! If I could figure out how to delete this whole post and start over, then I most certainly would edit out the offending four letter word.

However, I am still in need of help if I am still welcome on this forum after my heinous blasphemy :)

wayne is just a dickbag to everyone, no biggie.

he is a certifiable badass tuner though, and has posted a ton of awesome batavus stuff on the WIKI.

there is an intake upgrade kit that i make allowing you to go to a SHA 16 carb, there is a kit out there made by motomatic and there are lots of options for hacking on a pipe of your choice.

Mitchell Taylor /

Batavus makes 20mph, 25mph, and 30mph versions. Check and see what yours is (it may have a tag/sticker somewhere). Make sure your exhaust pipe and port is clean.. Carbon builds up inside very easily and makes the exhaust pipe less breathable, which in turn bogs the moped down. And like others have said, some engine tuning will do lot too. Upgraded pipe, air filter, etc. I slapped a bigger carb on mine which helped out a lot. Sometimes you can even get a smaller sprocket which will increase speed at the top end, but reduces low end.. but hey, there are pedals. Definitely check the Wiki page.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account