Chain + Sprockets

Shane Supinski /

I'm looking to change the front and rear sprockets on my 2008 Tomos Targa LX. I want to maximize top speed so installing smaller sprockets would obviously be the way to go. I've talked to some local moped shops about how to shorten a chain to fit the new sprockets. They all tell me that there is no point in shortening the chain because of the cost of the tool used to shorten the chain. They also say that the chain becomes less reliable after shortening it, and recommend buying a completely new one. So the question is, where can I buy chains to fit 24T sprockets, and 26T sprockets?

Re: Chain + Sprockets

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Of course you can shorten the chain. WTF do you think everyone else does? It helps to have some tools.

Overpriced Parts /

A small socket, hammer and a nail punch is all you need to break a chain

Or an angle grinder.

For maximum blast, 31t front, 20t rear. 70+cc kit recommended. (Very similar to 18x36 gearing on an E50 Puch).

For maximum fun around town, 27t front 22t rear. Pretty much the defacto gearing setup for most Tomos bikes. Still super easy to climb up hills, and headroom for about 53mph up top without breaking anything.

22t is the best rear sprocket and easiest to do. You can get a 20t, but be warned: you will have to take a dremel to your rear wheel and/or turn it down on a lathe or mill. it's time consuming, and only really gives you room for 4more mph or so at the same RPM.

24 26 teeth,, wait dude think what's ur set up now?

26x22 came on Tomos for years

Shane Supinski /

Ok, so will a 90 link chain fit a 26X22 setup?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account