Re: Treats piston port VS MK reed kit, A Review

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Wish you would have taken some pix of your mods before assy.

Is there a video of this bike? ^^^^^

There is some stuff on our blog. This was 2-3 years ago

Thehumanbeans.blogspot.com

Sweet blog I jus went through it. There's alot of nice work in there!

yeahhh! awesome to have beans weighing in... i remember seeing that a few years ago, really blew my mind especially because everyone says that kit is a turd.

my athena 80 on my sachs was ported like a dumb piston port when i got it, i think athenas are just ported stupid period, every one i've seen has be super conservative, but lots of meat left for opening them up.

the bridged exhaust is a real game changer, just make sure you put some holes in that piston so it gets lubricated.

if i had an extra e50 on a shelf for this kit i'd love to do it, especially at the price, too many bikes not enough time right now... bummer.

A treats reed piston lines up with the piston at bdc clearing the ex port perfectly. Mondo high timing though, and ring gaps on the ex port side too. Good for bridged stock or a regular Athena but not for porting.

Jake, any info on what 17x36 done for ya?

Little better acceleration, but haven't gps's it yet.

Just lightened the 3 shoe clutch arms and turned the springs in more and put some grooves in the pads. Seems to help.

Also made a new intake to get the carb at a better angle:

that carb can sit at an pretty steep angle..

mount it as close as you can.. and try that out..

get a simo if you can..

Holy shit. Lightened the crap out of the 3 shoe clutch and grooved the shoes. Feels like a new bike. Expect a video tomorrow.

We will be waiting...

Haha yeah those athena's are the shit I remember me an drew had the same setup in richmond one year, rippin over the nickel bridge 60+

I think he was a little faster I didn't know how to tune a motor so good then :)

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

jake what head are you running with this setup?

WAS running a stock puch head, but lathed it down last night. Must have made it TOO high comp... Time for a shorter piston.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

Ouch. It looks like pre-ignition. Make sure there are no sharp edges in there if you machined the squish at all.

If your problem was just that your compression was too high, run a thicker head gasket.

The strange thing is I didn't hear any detonation. Plug looked ok before it happened, so I think its just too much compression. I've got a Treats 70cc piston that I'll throw in and countersink the head.

Figured out what caused it. The decked head left a tiny amount of sealing surface because of a recessed logo that puch used. Blew out the aluminum head gasket and caused an air leak. Boom, done.

New treats piston and a countersunk head are in the works. Anyone know how to pull out the ring gap locating pins? Oven and some tweezers? I may have to make a thread about it to grab more attention.

They are OK with a stock ex port. They are past the port window.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Death rattle will port your piston every time if it don't smear or go boom kulnk akulnka first.

Did some searching and found this thread: https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,2887095,2887095#msg-2887095

Here's a picture of how close the gap on the treats piston is to the transfer port... I wouldn't trust it to not snag.

Here's where i want the gap:

(edited)

Just put in the 3rd transfer. Going to pull the cases apart to clean out the aluminum bits, transfer match, and create the top transfer in the case.

Transfer made

View from top of cylinder

With piston in

Ended up being .125"x.75"

Matched base gasket and marked cylinder skirt to trim

All beveled and done.

This shit is crazy. I didn't even realize the ring lands sat right next to the transfer ports. Derrrr.

I got my bridged 77 kit running today with the stock piston. 19x42 on 16in korado wheels. With a 21phbg, lightened 3 shoe with paz springs and mlm brace, boyesen dual stage reeds, points at 17°, custom cut Mars™ head, weakends sidebleed, a thin base gasket, and headgasket. Didn't really top out as its still breaking in but it screams all around.

Jake, you are crushing it with this kit. The 3rd transfer rocks. For only 125 for the cylinder and piston from 1977 this kit is turning out to be quite the value.

Should be interesting with the 3rd transfer and countersunk head. I'm going to try and relocate the Treats piston ring gap locating pins tomorrow from the bottom of the piston to the top corners.

Lemme know how it goes and how easy it is. If its a breeze and you want some extra scratch I'll send you two of the pistons to do, if not I'll be trying it myself.

Already had Mars do up two countersunk beauties for me, just waiting to make a base spacer and use the included pistons or relocate some ring gaps to actually make use of them.

I'm planning on throwing the piston in the oven at 450 and then pulling the pin out with tweezers. We'll see.

That third transfer is awesome! I can't wait to see what it does. I'm getting ideas for my ajh...

http://www.alpha.mopedarmy.com/forums/profile.php?2,20815 that guy said in a treats review he ran the treats reed kit piston in an ajh for 4000 miles and was fine...what do we believe!

He pm'd me back and said it still runs fine... I'll direct him over here and have him chime in. (edited)

But I really don't like how close the gaps are to the transfers.

I feel ya, I was so apprehensive I didn't even build up the ajh I have, I built the 77 reed kit with the stock piston just cause of how close they are. This guy says it rips though and he hasn't had any issues with it in 2+ years. Hopefully he chimes in or someone steps up to the plate and mass produces base spacers.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account